Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi mesh won’t work with security camera

Cichydan
Initiate

Orbi mesh won’t work with security camera

I bought an ORBI RBR10 mesh with one router and two satellites in August 2020. Yesterday I attempted to set up a blurams security camera. It says it is not compatible with 5G. I believe my mesh is dual band but I don’t know how to send out just a 2.4g signal or get the camera to connect to 2.4. It appears to be connecting to my wifi but then records no video. Is there a way for me to easily get the camera online with the Orbi mesh if it has this 2.4 only limitation?
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Cichydan
Initiate

Thanks all. It appears the Orbi was connecting but the camera just was not transmitting data. However, after moving the Orbi satellite closer and going through the setup another few times the camera started to transmit data and now seems to be working fine. Using the Orbi app to see what devices were connecting to the router and the satellites did help me start to confirm the camera was actually connecting to 2.4 and not 5G.
Thanks for your help!
Dan

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
vajim
Master

@Cichydan wrote:
I bought an ORBI RBR10 mesh with one router and two satellites in August 2020. Yesterday I attempted to set up a blurams security camera. It says it is not compatible with 5G. I believe my mesh is dual band but I don’t know how to send out just a 2.4g signal or get the camera to connect to 2.4. It appears to be connecting to my wifi but then records no video. Is there a way for me to easily get the camera online with the Orbi mesh if it has this 2.4 only limitation?

you have a few options....first off....your problem is because in the Mesh system there is only one ssid.  You can't tell which freq is which.

options: 

go into the orbi setup and turn down the 5g freq.  this may also require to turn off any sats.  not sure if the camera is setup on your phone, if is it, the challenge is getting the phone to connect to 2.4

another option is to get a 2.4 extender.  it will become a part of your network and show up as a seperate ssid.

there is is another high techy way using FTP.....ugh

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Cichydan wrote:

Most inexpensive security cameras contain only a 2.4G radio chip (a) because they do not benefit from potentially "faster" 5G WiFi, (b) 2.4G WiFi signals have greater range than 5G WiFi, and (c) because the 2.4G radios are vastly less expensive to install.

The statement "is not compatible with 5G" is like a flashlight saying "is not compatible with car batteries."  If you have NO 2.4G WiFi at all, then the camera cannot work.  The Orbi DOES have 2.4G WiFi, so the camera can connect.  There are a number of Internet of Things (IoT) devices with smartphone apps that are poorly written and must be manipulated before they will get a device to connect.  This does not sound like the issue here.  (See above: "It appears to be connecting to my WiFi.")

Does that mean the smartphone app that controls the camera can "see" the camera?  If so, the WiFi connection is working.

Why it does not record video is an issue for the camera,  not the Orbi.  Does this camera require an SD Card to be inserted before it will make recordings?

Message 3 of 6
DarkNet
Apprentice

Orbi is dual band so I can't see a reason the cameras won’t connect to your network’s 2.4GHz wifi.  Or do they connect?  I have several devices that are 2.4GHz only and connect to the Orbi wifi without any problems (my wifi thermostats, weather station, irrigation controller, and SONOS for example).  These devices automatically select and connect to the 2.4GHz band and so should your cameras.  I suspect a different issue is stopping you from being able to record. Good luck!

Message 4 of 6
Cichydan
Initiate

Thanks all. It appears the Orbi was connecting but the camera just was not transmitting data. However, after moving the Orbi satellite closer and going through the setup another few times the camera started to transmit data and now seems to be working fine. Using the Orbi app to see what devices were connecting to the router and the satellites did help me start to confirm the camera was actually connecting to 2.4 and not 5G.
Thanks for your help!
Dan
Message 5 of 6
vajim
Master

@DarkNet wrote:

Orbi is dual band so I can't see a reason the cameras won’t connect to your network’s 2.4GHz wifi.  Or do they connect?  I have several devices that are 2.4GHz only and connect to the Orbi wifi without any problems (my wifi thermostats, weather station, irrigation controller, and SONOS for example).  These devices automatically select and connect to the 2.4GHz band and so should your cameras.  I suspect a different issue is stopping you from being able to record. Good luck!

The problem sounds like what I experienced with a Lacrosse weather station a few years ago.  The weather station was setup via a cell phone.  That cell MUST be on 2.4.  Of course with the mesh system, there is no 2.4 or 5g but only one ssid for both.  True that most devices today can handle both 2.4 and 5g.  The problem is rooted in the entry point.  The way I solved it (after fooling around with 5g power power reduction) is bring in a 2.4 extender.  This created a separate 2.4 ssid to my network (same password).  Problem solved.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7