Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi not connecting devices to 5 gh

Gooobey
Aspirant

Orbi not connecting devices to 5 gh

On my computer I have 5 Gh able network adapter. But while connecting to the Orbi i can not chose what band i connect to. This is very irritating. Im getting ready to retun the Orbi and buy a 150 ft ethernet cable. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

Re: Orbi not connecting devices to 5 gh

hi

if your wireless adapter is dual band and it is within good range from the orbi router or sat it should automatically connect to the 5 gig

to check what its connected to open network and sharing center and click on the adapter status and see what speed it is connected at

if you are 150 feet from the orbi sat or router and there are a few walls in the way your never going to connect to any 5 gig

plz explain your setup and environment a bit better

Message 2 of 7
Gooobey
Aspirant

The Sat is one wall over from my room. I have a 5 gh capable device. I have connected to the 5 Gh channel before. When i unplug the wireless adapter it connects to the 2.4 channel and i can not force it to the 5 gh channel. 

Message 3 of 7

@Gooobey wrote:

The Sat is one wall over from my room. I have a 5 gh capable device. I have connected to the 5 Gh channel before. When i unplug the wireless adapter it connects to the 2.4 channel and i can not force it to the 5 gh channel. 

i dont understand the second part of that sentance , when you unplug the wireless adapter how does it work at all ?

Message 4 of 7
martyfp
Luminary

I have a similar issue with a PC which has a 2.4/5GHz wifi adapter.    It keeps connecting to 2.4 GHz bacuase the signal strength is slightly better than 5GHz

What I ended up doing was to go into the driver settings for the wifi adapter on the PC and force it to only work on 5GHz.  I then get a solid 5GHz connection.

It's a shame that you can't do this in the Orbi setup.  It would save a lot of pain.

Message 5 of 7
Gooobey
Aspirant

Could you guide me in a direction for me to do this?

Message 6 of 7
martyfp
Luminary

I did the following:

- on the PC open the "device manager" 

- In the device manager, open the list of "Network Adapters" 

- One item in your list will be your WIFI adapter

- Right click on the adapter, and select "properties"

- Select the "advanced" tab and you will have a list of the properties that you can change.

- The exact list will depend on the wifi adapter that you have in your PC,

•  My laptop has a selection for "preferred band" which I set to 5GHz.
  • My desktop has something called "wireless mode" that I set to 802.11ac
  • Your setup will likely have something different,  but browsing through the options should reveal one which forces it to 5GHz

I hope that helps.  

For me, both machines are working just great on 5GHz where they appeared to randomly switch between 2.4 and 5 previously.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7