Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi or Provider Network

cltorbi
Follower

Orbi or Provider Network

Hi there - I have an orbi network setup with my ATT fiber. What is best for me to connect my devices to? If I connect to my Orbi network on my laptop and run a speedtest, it is very slow but my ATT Fiber is super fast. Is the Orbi just there for distance from provider router? Thank you!
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi or Provider Network

If the ISP WiFi does not provide enough coverage and someone purchases a mesh WiFi system, they almost always elect to disable the WiFi part of the ISP device so that it will not compete with the mech system.  There are not many WiFi channels available and neighborhoods are clogged with WiFi networks, so eliminating a WiFi radio blasting inside your own house is a good idea.

As for performance, there is no obvious reason that the Orbi would show slower WiFi performance than the ATT WiFi. Generally speaking, having "two routers" is also not a great configuration, as Netgear explains in this article:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

I have no personal experience with ATT, but my observation is that Orbi users frequently elect to put the Orbi into Access Point mode in order to avoid the "Double NAT". (On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Router/AP mode)

You might want to double check the Orbi-to-ATT conntection rate.  On the Orbi web interface, click on the Advanced Tab, then click on the blue box "Show Statistics".  The WAN link should show as 1000M/Full

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7