Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi periodically lose internet connection

lolongan
Aspirant

Orbi periodically lose internet connection

Hi everyone,

I used to have only an internet box which acts as modem and router.

Recently I bought the Orbi RBK852 Mesh System and set it up in router mode behind the internet box, the latter being also in router mode, but with Wifi shut-off.

Everything is great, speed is multiplied by 5 times at least, except one issue: the Orbi router periodically, once a day in average, loses internet connection (the led goes magenta solid). Since I'm not an expert , the only fix I found is to switch the internet box off and on and everything is back OK.. until the next day. The annoyance is when I'm away from home and cannot access to the internet box to switch it off and on. Then I lose all my remote connection to the smart home devices that I have.

Does someone have any idea of what is the cause of the issue and how to fix it permanently without having to switch off and on the internetbox manually ?

Note that before installing the Orbi system, I did not experience such issue.

Thanks.

lolongan

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Putting the Orbi in AP mode would be simplest and best way for you. This would disable the DHCP services on the Orbi. You will not need to use DMZ or IP passthru on the modem when using AP mode on the Orbi. You need to maintain a level of security at the modem for the Orbi in ap mode.

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? If the modem has a built in router already, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 8
lolongan
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Thanks for quick reply. Have read the "Double Nat" KB link you provide. I am in Scenario 2 as described, although I'm not sure that my issue is the ones mentioned ("Double NAT does not prevent your devices access to the internet but may cause problems with playing online games, opening a specific service port, connecting to a VPN tunnel, or visiting secure sites with SSL. Also, the devices connected to the first private network may not be able to communicate to the devices connected to the other private network").

But I'm willing to try the proposed fixes, may be it could still help.

Since solutions 1 and 3 are not OK for me (I have checked that the internet box does not have bridge mode; and putting the Orbi router in AP mode is not OK for me since I will lose some functionnalities which are key for me), it leaves me with solution 2.

But I have no idea how to do that. Could you elaborate on how to "configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem", taken example with the Orbi web configuration tool so I can figure out where and how to do that with the configuration tool of my internet box ?

Thanks in advance.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to log into the modems web page to configure DMZ or IP Passthru on the modem. Check the modems mfr user manual or contact the ISP for help with the modem configuration. 

Message 4 of 8
lolongan
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 

Seems not that straigthforward to do this DMZ or IP Passthrough setting...

May be I will have to reconsider the AP solution for the Orbi router. Or to investigate the solution to kick out completely my internet box ... but in this option, I do not know if my Orbi router could connect to the ONT of the ISP...

Also one strange thing: this morning, when my Orbi went Magenta again, I tried to remotely connect to it with the Orbi app on my iPhone (using my phone network since there is no internet connection through the Orbi Wifi net work). And surprise, I did have access to my Orbi which is reported as up and running, with one satellite and all the devices attached through Wifi.

How could it be possible ? It looks like the internet box or the Orbi router is blocking outward access to Internet but accepting inward queries from Internet ? Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

For simple setup, yes, try AP mode on the RBR. 

If you want help on the ISP modems DMZ or IP passthru, contact the ISP or look up help information on the model modem on the internet and see if there any online help for those features. 

Message 6 of 8
lolongan
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

NG Support proposes to me another solution: put Orbi router in fixed IP and deactivate DHCP on Orbi router while the DMZ solution you suggest seems to be the reverse, i.e. deactivating DHCP on the Internet box. Before applying one or the other solution I would like to know what are the advantages and inconveniences of each. Could you advise me on that ? Because I'm afraid to mess up all my installation by playing around with such settings.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Putting the Orbi in AP mode would be simplest and best way for you. This would disable the DHCP services on the Orbi. You will not need to use DMZ or IP passthru on the modem when using AP mode on the Orbi. You need to maintain a level of security at the modem for the Orbi in ap mode.

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7