Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi port fowarding stopped working

nickavem
Aspirant

Orbi port fowarding stopped working

Hardware Version   RBR50

Firmware Version   V1.4.0.34

GUI Language Version   V1.0.0.284

Operation Mode

Router

Hello.

I got my orbi a couple of months ago and setting up port fowarding for my few raspberry pis was a breeze. Just a few clicks and config file changes and everything worked fine. Recently, however, something changed and now none of the ports are opening properly. I'm afraid I'm not sure exactly what happened (firmware update is my best guess) but all local ips were reassigned (they went from 192.168.1.* to 10.0.0.*) at first this was an annoyance, but I simply did what I did when I first got the Orbi and moved everything over. However now none of the ports are opening. Am I missing something here? I am not super experienced with networking so something might just be flying over my head, but this is very annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

The issue sounds a lot like the ISP device changed from being "only a router" to a combination "modem/router".

When the Orbi is given a WAN IP address starting with 192.168.1, it automatically switches the IP subnet on the LAN side of the Orbi to 10.0.0.x  In a "Double NAT" situation, Orbi can forward all the ports it wants to, but the connections will never reach the Orbi because the ISP router will block them. See https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

There are two recommended solutions:

1. Place the ISP device into "modem only" or "bridge" mode.  This will leave the Orbi as the only router and port forwarding will work again.
  2. Place the Orbi into Access Point mode and set up port forwarding on the ISP router.  Most routers have basically the same capabilities, so most routers can do this.

My own choice would be #1.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The issue sounds a lot like the ISP device changed from being "only a router" to a combination "modem/router".

When the Orbi is given a WAN IP address starting with 192.168.1, it automatically switches the IP subnet on the LAN side of the Orbi to 10.0.0.x  In a "Double NAT" situation, Orbi can forward all the ports it wants to, but the connections will never reach the Orbi because the ISP router will block them. See https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

There are two recommended solutions:

1. Place the ISP device into "modem only" or "bridge" mode.  This will leave the Orbi as the only router and port forwarding will work again.
  2. Place the Orbi into Access Point mode and set up port forwarding on the ISP router.  Most routers have basically the same capabilities, so most routers can do this.

My own choice would be #1.

Message 2 of 5
nickavem
Aspirant

Thanks for the timely reply! What would be the easiest way to access the ISP router's interface? The adress I used previously does not seem to work when connected to orbi. Should I just direct connect to the previous router?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@nickavem wrote:

Thanks for the timely reply! What would be the easiest way to access the ISP router's interface? The adress I used previously does not seem to work when connected to orbi. Should I just direct connect to the previous router?

Yes, to mess with the ISP device, connect directly to it if you can.

Message 4 of 5
nickavem
Aspirant

Thanks a lot! I went with the latter just because I needed this SSH working ASAP it worked the quickest.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7