Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi rbr40 is dead after 6 months

Zootness
Aspirant

Orbi rbr40 is dead after 6 months

My Orbi RBR40, about 6 months old, seems to have bricked itself. A couple weeks back it just stopped working. The green power light was on, but networking was not functioning.  I turned it off for a while, went through setup again and it worked. However tonight it happened again and this time it isn't coming back. Pressing reset with a paper clip and holding it for a minute didn't do anything (light didn't turn amber). I can't install new firmware since the unit is a brick and I can't connect to it. I need some support. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 8

Warranty.

Most places have at least a year. If it is registered with Netgear go down the "RMA" road.

Do not be fobbed off by anyone trying to sell you a support contract because your 90-days of free support are over.

In some cases, and countries, the process begins with the outfit that sold you the device.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Was there any top LED colors on the top of the Orbi? 

@Zootness wrote:

My Orbi RBR40, about 6 months old, seems to have bricked itself. A couple weeks back it just stopped working. The green power light was on, but networking was not functioning.  I turned it off for a while, went through setup again and it worked. However tonight it happened again and this time it isn't coming back. Pressing reset with a paper clip and holding it for a minute didn't do anything (light didn't turn amber). I can't install new firmware since the unit is a brick and I can't connect to it. I need some support. 

Message 3 of 8
Zootness
Aspirant

No lights. Only power light. No idea of the firmware, since I can't connect to it to check. Pretty clear it is dead. I'm trying to do an RMA, but they don't have any replacements in stock. 😞 

Message 4 of 8

@Zootness wrote:

No lights. Only power light. No idea of the firmware, since I can't connect to it to check.

I have never needed to do a "hard reset" on an Orbi. But on a Netgear router this is the procedure:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

You have nothing to lose.

Message 5 of 8
Zootness
Aspirant

Did that multiple times, but thanks for the suggestion. This thing is deader than slab of bacon.

Message 6 of 8
Zootness
Aspirant

Thanks! I did figure out it is still under warrenty. Spent more than 30 minutes for them to tell me they'd give me an RMA but they don't make this model any more so now I have to wait until they get one in. /sigh Fortunately I have another wifi router I can use in the meantime. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would have asked about a upgrade to series 50. 

Glad it's under warranty though. 
Good Luck. 

@Zootness wrote:

Thanks! I did figure out it is still under warrenty. Spent more than 30 minutes for them to tell me they'd give me an RMA but they don't make this model any more so now I have to wait until they get one in. /sigh Fortunately I have another wifi router I can use in the meantime. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7