Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi remote management shows wrong model

steeve725
Guide

Orbi remote management shows wrong model

Hi, Everyone

Had my orbi system for a few days and really like it.

Just dealing with what I think is another bug.

Yesterday when I was away from home my remote management wasn't working. When I got home I checked if remote management was turned on. It was. I turned it off and on then remote management worked.

Today I'm again away from home and remote management does work, but initially it shows the wrong model number.

It shows RBR50. But when I click on the router it then shows my router correctly (RBR40) and 2 satellites.

It's just an annoying bug.

Thanks

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 22
Chuck_M
Mentor

What version of firmware do you have in your router and satellite(s)?

Message 2 of 22
steeve725
Guide

Firmware versions;

App - 2.2.13.22
Router - 2.2.1.210
Each satellite - 2.2.1.2.04

I noticed when I click on settings in the app, then "about" it also shows RBR50

Thanks
Message 3 of 22
ekhalil
Master

This informatin is related to the registered products and are coming from the "NG Cloud" not from Orbi or the Orbi app.

It looks that the RBR40 (and may be other models) are still not defined in the NG Cloud.

@Christian_R , can you help with this please?

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try updating the system. 

Manually download the FW files and apply. You need to update the satellites first to v28. Then apply v212 on the RBR then apply v28 lastly on the RBR:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-20-40-Series-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-28/td-p/1...

I would factory reset the RBR/RBS and setup from scratch after v28 has been applied. 

@steeve725 wrote:
Firmware versions;

App - 2.2.13.22
Router - 2.2.1.210

Thanks

Message 5 of 22
steeve725
Guide

I'm unfamiliar with the process on how to do all this manually. I did look at the link you provided. I went to the page and I looked and found my model "RBK33" and clicked on it, but something is strange. It shows firmware for an RBS40, which I don't have, I have an RBR40. It does show the correct satellites as RBW30.

I looked up an orbi RBS40 and it says "This add-on Orbi WiFi Satellite (RBS40) expands your Orbi Home WiFi System coverage by up to 2,000 square feet with high-performance AC2200 WiFi." according to this, it's not a router.

I think I'll wait. That's seems like a bigger job than I want to deal with since it has the firmware for the satellites but not the router, unless I'm missing something.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBR and RBS 40 series is the same for all 40 series units. I don't know why NG named the RBK33 I presume a reason would be Some Kits have the RBW30 wall plugs and some may have the RBS40 satellite plug in units. Not sure though.

You can download your FW here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK33.aspx#download

Both RBS.RBW and RBR. RBR is for the RBR40 router which you CAN update to v28

If you have the RBS unit you can update to RBS40 Firmware Version 2.3.0.28

If you have the RBW units you can update to RBW30 Firmware Version 2.3.0.4

If you have the RBR40 you can update to v212 first, then v28.

Look at the stickers on each unit to see the acutual model to verify what you have. 

@steeve725 wrote:

I'm unfamiliar with the process on how to do all this manually. I did look at the link you provided. I went to the page and I looked and found my model "RBK33" and clicked on it, but something is strange. It shows firmware for an RBS40, which I don't have, I have an RBR40. It does show the correct satellites as RBW30.

I looked up an orbi RBS40 and it says "This add-on Orbi WiFi Satellite (RBS40) expands your Orbi Home WiFi System coverage by up to 2,000 square feet with high-performance AC2200 WiFi." according to this, it's not a router.

I think I'll wait. That's seems like a bigger job than I want to deal with since it has the firmware for the satellites but not the router, unless I'm missing something.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@steeve725 wrote:
Firmware versions;

App - 2.2.13.22
Router - 2.2.1.210

Thanks

@steeve725 There is a new Orbi iOS app released today 2.3.0.31. Please try it. I still think this is juat an issue in the NG database where missing models need to be added, but please give this a try. 🙂

Message 8 of 22
steeve725
Guide

New orbi app didn't make a difference. My router still shows as an rbr50 instead of rbr40 when off wifi and using remote management.
Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try the FW update...

@steeve725 wrote:
New orbi app didn't make a difference. My router still shows as an rbr50 instead of rbr40 when off wifi and using remote management.

Message 10 of 22
steeve725
Guide

So I guess I need to download the RBS40 firmware for the router since this is the only option I have under my rbk33.

I'm always a little skeptical downloading something that doesn't have my actual model listed
Message 11 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@steeve725 when you go to your My Netgear page and look at the list of your registered products that should look something like the following:

Namnlöst.png

Are the names of the products shown correctly in your case?

Message 12 of 22
steeve725
Guide

OK. So I guess that's another bug.

Because you obviously can't believe what the gui tells you when you check for updates. I checked for updates and it tells me my firmware is up to date @ 2.2.1.210

That's frustrating for the average person who believes what the router tells them when they check for updates and nothings found, because there still might be an update out there.
Message 13 of 22
steeve725
Guide

Yes, it shows correctly
Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Understandable. You'll be find to download the FW files. I don't recommend using autoupdate. Just download the files you need to yoru wired PC. Update the satellite(s) first, then update the RBR40. 

I recommend using IE11 or FF browser for this. Wired PC as well. 

@steeve725 wrote:
So I guess I need to download the RBS40 firmware for the router since this is the only option I have under my rbk33.

I'm always a little skeptical downloading something that doesn't have my actual model listed

Message 15 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@steeve725 wrote:
Yes, it shows correctly

I'd try the following:

1. To deactivate the product and then register it again.
  2. After that go to the Orbi app and click on Home and then NEW SETUP and scan the QR code of the router and follow instructions.
Message 16 of 22
steeve725
Guide

Ok.

That shouldn't affect anything else should it? Then when I go into the app and new setup and scan the qr code it should be OK?

Message 17 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@steeve725 wrote:

That shouldn't affect anything else should it? Then when I go into the app and new setup and scan the qr code it should be OK?

I think you should be fine. I just tried the product deactivation and then registration and worked fine.

After you do this chek the issue is solved, if not then try the NEW SETUP in the app.

I believe also that the NEW SETUP in the app with QR code should also be ok, I've done it many times! 🙂

Message 18 of 22
steeve725
Guide

Well I tried new setup in the app after product deactivation and then registration didn't work.

Wow what a mess. I tried new setup, scanned qr code, unplugged modem, router, unplugged both satellites, replugged everything back in. Waited for everything to power back on. In the app, Orbi then asked me to join the default network SSID that came with my Orbi. I clicked join. I get the message unable to join. It then tells me go to the wifi settings on my phone, find and connect to the orbi SSID found on the product label. My Iphone cannot find the SSID for the Orbi. I click on other under the wifi names listed since the orbi isn't showing up to try and input manually, that wont take either.

I guess the re-set up isn't going to work for me.

Message 19 of 22
ekhalil
Master

Sorry for the mess. It usually goes smooth for me! 🙂

Again I think that the issue is in the NG database and I hope that @Christian_R will help with that. 🙂

Message 20 of 22
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @steeve725

Please PM me the device serial number. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 21 of 22
steeve725
Guide