Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite cycles on and off line?

RogerSC
Virtuoso

Orbi satellite cycles on and off line?

My Orbi has been stable since I've had it. Lately, though, I've been seeing the Orbi satellite unit go into a cycle of going off line (magenta) for about a minute, and then come back on line (blue) for about a minute. This cycle will continue until I break it by power-cycling the satellite, at which point the satellite becomes stable again. I think that this is happening about once a week. While not a big deal, it is something that I was hoping that there's a solution for. I haven't reset the satellite alone or both the router and satellite yet, since I'm not sure that this would have any effect on the problem.

Didn't see this until I flashed the latest firmware (V2.0.0.74), so I'm suspicious of that. But I can't go backwards to previous firmware to check this out since the router will auto-update back to the latest before I would be convinced that this problem wasn't going to happen with the older firmware.

Anyone else seeing this?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
GoScottB
Aspirant

Same experience here,  have had the Orbi system for about 1 month.  Replaced Airport Extreme ac (the current, but not updated since 2013 model).   and I have been extremely disappointed in the lack of stability with Orbi.  satellite drops, client drops, "dad can you fix the wifi" statements I never had in the past.  I have had to tinker with this Orbi system more in 1 month than my Airport Extreme in its lifetime.   I am very close to returning Orbi, I just don't think its ready for prime time, clearly a 1.0 product.  It has promise, looking for any suggestions to make it stable.  It may be an unfair ask, the Apple products just flat out work, and I may be spoiled

Message 2 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@RogerSC Try moving the sat and/or router so they are closer or have fewer obstructions between them. The latest firmware reduced the range for several people, and moving things resolved the issue. 

Message 3 of 7
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@st_shaw wrote:

@RogerSC Try moving the sat and/or router so they are closer or have fewer obstructions between them. The latest firmware reduced the range for several people, and moving things resolved the issue. 

Thanks, I've just done that, about 2 hours ago. Even though the satellite has never complained about being out of range, I moved it into the next room over, closer to the router, in case that's the problem. Nothing has happened yet (that's a good thing *smile*), but I likely have to wait several days to see if the problem reproduces itself or not. If it does, then I'm not sure where to go from there, but as of now all I can say is "time will tell".

Hoping that the problem doesn't happen again.

Message 4 of 7
GoScottB
Aspirant

I had enough with the lack of stability.  I was willing to put up with the weak app and go to browser for advanced features, but I simply couldnt take the instability anymore.  I returned my Orbi system today and am back on my trusty, (set it and forget it) airport extreme.  Yes I will have a few spots in my home that are a little weak, but I wont be tinkering weekly with the Orbi.   I will probably be back at some point as home mesh wifi will certainly improve in the future.  Waiting for version 2.0 of the home wifi systems.      

Message 5 of 7
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Well, no recurances of the satellite cycling problem since I moved the satellite closer to the router. Not conclusive by any means, but promising. The Orbi has been stable, providing it's usual great wireless coverage. This is about the only problem that I've had with the Orbi, aside from Netgear removing some control from the firmware that I'm used to having, so I'm still happy with it at the moment. Sorry that you and others have had problems.

By the way, eero is on their second generation now, and I've heard good things about the "Pro" configuration, as well as the ones with the "Beacons". If I went away from the Orbi, that would be my next "wireless system".

Message 6 of 7
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I'm now convinced that moving the satellite slightly closer to the router has solved this one. Very happy not to have seen this problem again, back to totally stable operation!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7