Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi satellite make clicking sounds

TomMcM
Aspirant

Orbi satellite make clicking sounds

I recently installed a satellite orbi router to my system and it makes a sof clicking sound.  The base unit does not.  The satellite is hardwired to the ethernet network.  Not sure how to eliminate the background noise.  I work in a quiet office setting, so noise is noticeable.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite make clicking sounds

question. 

Are you sure its the satellite making the noises? 

For some reason, my orbi satellite (and router) would make my subwoofer have a soft ticking/clicking noise. 

I put my router/satellite on a seperate circuit and it went away. Only had issues with the 1 subwoofer doing it. None of my others. Tried several of them. 

Message 2 of 11
TomMcM
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.  Yes, it's Orbi.  No subwoofer on system, and when I disconnected power from Orbi, clicking stopped.  When plugged back in, no sounds as it went through reboot (light flashing), then started again once rebooted.

Thanks

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

Tried swapping the power supplies? See if its coming from the power supply

Message 4 of 11
TomMcM
Aspirant

I'll give it a shot.  Have to wait until user(wife) gets off computer (home office for wife and I; separate businesses.  AM not an IT type, so bumbling my way through troubleshooting problems. Smiley Frustrated)

Message 5 of 11
Serranopr
Tutor

I installed RBK853 and noticed that the router and satellites all make a very slight audible crackling noise that can only be heard very close up, like having your ear near the ethernet ports.  Support told me there is no speaker inside, but still the devices are making some noise which is odd.  I'd like to have this explained.  Solid state devices with no mechanical speaker and running only 12V from a remote wall plug power supply should be silent.  If it's not silent....please explain to users why so that we don't have to fear a lurking failure or fire risk.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@Serranopr wrote:

I installed RBK853 and noticed that the router and satellites all make a very slight audible crackling noise that can only be heard very close up, like having your ear near the ethernet ports.  Support told me there is no speaker inside, but still the devices are making some noise which is odd.  I'd like to have this explained.  Solid state devices with no mechanical speaker and running only 12V from a remote wall plug power supply should be silent.  If it's not silent....please explain to users why so that we don't have to fear a lurking failure or fire risk.

Message 7 of 11
xbrendax
Aspirant

Did this issue ever get resolved?  I am having the exact same issue. Just installed this today and the AC adapters are making a clicking noise just as described. Tech support at Netgear is not helping resolve this. 😕

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Clicking sound is not normal. I would ask for a product replacement.

Message 9 of 11
Serranopr
Tutor

I never got any response back from the ticket with Netgear support.  The slight fizzing or soda pop like sound comes from the back of the Orbi near the Ethernet ports.  Others in my neighborhood who have bought Orbi have verified this very faint noise also.  It is not coming from the wall adapter power supply.  

I'm an engineer, and would not have thought the device would make this noise.  Having said that some have speculated that it is the DC-DC converters inside the Orbi that make a slight noise.  I can't hear it from a foot away, only if you put your ear to the back of the device and listen.  (I was only that close during installation while on a ladder, that was when I noticed it.)

It's simply a little odd, and it would be appreciated if Netgear would confirm yes or no this is normal operation.

Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@Serranopr wrote:

It's simply a little odd, and it would be appreciated if Netgear would confirm yes or no this is normal operation.

The only way to hear from Netgear is through the support line.  They do not participate in the community forum (community as in customers).

New products come with 90 days of 'complimentary support'. It may be necessary to contact them again.  From posts on the forum, I get the impression that it is rare for anyone from support to contact users.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7