× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi shows connected to internet but no internet access

Elmo33
Aspirant

Orbi shows connected to internet but no internet access

I have an RBK50 system which was working fine.  I suspect a new firmware was automatically downloaded and on install completely bricked the router.  I have a backup RB50 due to buying an extra satellite.  I set up that one and it shows good connection to all satellites and to the internet (cable modem - tp link).  Despite this there is no internet on wifi or on wire connection through the router.   Internal wifi things work (including somethat require internet - internet connected switches) but we can't access web pages, netflix etc.  Everything times out.  Firmware is .18.  (I've power cycled everything without improvement, direct ethernet to the modem works fine so I'm sure it's the Orbi). Any help is much appreciated.  Also there should be some kind of consensus movement with Orbi to stop these automatic firmware updates.  My system worked completely fine prior to this.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Did you power OFF the ISP modem and orbi, then power on the modem and let it sync then power ON the Orbi router and the test the connection? 

Make sure your PC and devices are setup for networking to auto obtain IP addresses from the router.

Direct connect a wired PC to the ISP modem to check internet there as well first.

The systems FW is kind of old, so to get upto date on FW, first you need to download v2.0.0.74 and v210 for both router and satellites. First apply the v2.0.0.74 to the satellites, then the router. After this has been performed, then apply v210 to the satellites then the router. You'll be up to date. 

@Elmo33 wrote:

I have an RBK50 system which was working fine.  I suspect a new firmware was automatically downloaded and on install completely bricked the router.  I have a backup RB50 due to buying an extra satellite.  I set up that one and it shows good connection to all satellites and to the internet (cable modem - tp link).  Despite this there is no internet on wifi or on wire connection through the router.   Internal wifi things work (including somethat require internet - internet connected switches) but we can't access web pages, netflix etc.  Everything times out.  Firmware is .18.  (I've power cycled everything without improvement, direct ethernet to the modem works fine so I'm sure it's the Orbi). Any help is much appreciated.  Also there should be some kind of consensus movement with Orbi to stop these automatic firmware updates.  My system worked completely fine prior to this.

Message 2 of 4
Elmo33
Aspirant

Currently not at home but will answer what I can.  

Direct ethernet into the modem from computer works fine.  I did power cycle both the modem and the orbi without any improvement.  Initially when it was installed Orbi had me power cycle the modem which seemed to work for about an hour then it stopped.  I will re-power cycle both when I get home. 

modem is a TP-link tc7650

Devices should all be on auto-obtain IP

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do this, power off the modem for 30 seconds. Then factory reset the Orbi router. With a wired Pc connected to the Orbi router, log into orbilogin.com and walk thru the setup wizard. This will check internet has it goes along. It should help you get connected. 

Let us know. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7