Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi wi-fi So slow

ereimers
Aspirant

Orbi wi-fi So slow

I subscribe to Gig speed internet from Xfinity. When I'm plugged into the modem/router from Xfinity I'm able to download typically around 800-900 mbps. When I hooked my ORBI I download at speeds of 2-10 mbps on my laptop (Intel i7, 32GB RAM, 512 mb SSD) and 200-300 mbps on my mobile devices. My previous Nighthawk was able to produce wifi at much greater speeds (200-400 mbps) got the ORBI for the supposed range and speed increase. I thought this was an ISP issue for about a year but now after 10 visits from them, we found its the ORBI that's throttling the speeds to my laptops. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi wi-fi So slow

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Besure to do a factory reset on the Orbi router and set up from scratch. Do not enable QoS speedtest, Traffic Meter or Access controls.

Wire speed test always first over wireless.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 12
ereimers
Aspirant

FW: 2.1.4.16

Xfinity - gigabit 900 mbps

Model:TG3482G
Vendor:ARRIS Group, Inc.

My house is roughly 2,000 sqft the main Orbi and the satellite and the main Orbi unit are about 100 feet from each other. When I've been testing I am in the same room as the main unit. 

I did all of your suggestions below but I'm still coming up with the same results.  

I'm pulling my hair out, unfortunately, it's been way past the time I can return the product. 
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the ISP modem running in? Model only or router?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

What speeds do you get when wired with a PC to the Orbi router? Testing wireless, you don't see anything near 900Mb. May around 400-500Mb depending upon wireless device design and support.

100feet mabye a too far in between. I would close the distance and test, say 40-50feet? I set mine up at 40 feet between the router and just 1 satellite. Great speed and coverage.

After configuring the modem to one of the option above, I would do a factory reset on the Orbi router, then setup from scratch and this time, make sure you don't enable QoS, Traffic Meter or access controls. Run a wired speed test.

Message 4 of 12
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi ereimers, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information FURRYe38 provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@ereimers Let us know if you have any progress on this...

@ereimers wrote:

FW: 2.1.4.16

Xfinity - gigabit 900 mbps

Model:TG3482G
Vendor:ARRIS Group, Inc.

My house is roughly 2,000 sqft the main Orbi and the satellite and the main Orbi unit are about 100 feet from each other. When I've been testing I am in the same room as the main unit. 

I did all of your suggestions below but I'm still coming up with the same results.  

I'm pulling my hair out, unfortunately, it's been way past the time I can return the product. 

Message 6 of 12
ereimers
Aspirant

Nope still having issues. I'm about to throw this thing away and just go to my old setup. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried one of the suggestions regarding your modem?

Message 8 of 12
ereimers
Aspirant

Yes, I have done everything posted at least 3 times each trying to make sure it was done correctly. My speeds are horrible, I'm exhausted. 

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Which suggestion configuration are you currently using?

Possible that the RBR could be faulty...

Message 10 of 12
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi ereimers, 

There is a new firmware released for RBK50. Kindly update the firmware to 2.2.1.210. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@ereimers wrote:

Yes, I have done everything posted at least 3 times each trying to make sure it was done correctly. My speeds are horrible, I'm exhausted. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7