Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi won’t work with BluOS

QuiltyC
Aspirant

Orbi won’t work with BluOS

I have a NAD M50 media streamer which is wired via Ethernet which I can see at its ip address and on my desktop which is also Ethernet.  The player is controlled by a WiFi app on an iPad, BluOS, which has not worked since i installed the Orbi.  Nothing on the WiFi network can see it.  The BluOS app on my iPad cannot find the NAD player.  I tried enabling iptv.  My internet connection is through a UVerse router which I use the only dhcp server on the network.   It's WiFi is off.

I have plugged, unplugged, power-cycled, rebooted to factory settings, and nothing works.

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi won’t work with BluOS

I'd contact the Mfr of this OS and ask them for additional help and infomation regarding there product. Let them know what your having problems with.

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@QuiltyC wrote:

I have a NAD M50 media streamer which is wired via Ethernet which I can see at its ip address and on my desktop which is also Ethernet.  The player is controlled by a WiFi app on an iPad, BluOS, which has not worked since i installed the Orbi.  Nothing on the WiFi network can see it.  The BluOS app on my iPad cannot find the NAD player.  I tried enabling iptv.  My internet connection is through a UVerse router which I use the only dhcp server on the network.   It's WiFi is off.

I have plugged, unplugged, power-cycled, rebooted to factory settings, and nothing works.

Was this working before the Orbi system was installed?

Are the NAD and the desktop both connected to the Orbi ethernet, or are they connected to UVerse?

Would you mind reporting the IP addresses of the NAD, desktop, and iPad?

Thanks

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I keep forgetting that the forum is highly asynchronous.  (Hours can go by betweenposts.)

Where I was going with the questions is this: If the desktop and NAD are connected to the UVerse, they will get IP addresses from UVerse.

The iPad will get an IP address from Orbi.

They will be in different subnets.

The iPad will "know" that the NAD is not on the same subnet, and will send packets to the Orbi gateway saying, "Please send this where it goes."  The NAD will not have any idea where the iPad is.

The solution is to move the NAD and desktop connection to the Orbi. (or, at least the NAD).

Or... I have wasted everybody's time.

Message 4 of 12
Mikey94025
Hero

I agree with the above recommendation - If your wired ethernet devices are connected to the Uverse router then it would be better to standardize on the one Orbi home network and instead connect them by ethernet to your Orbi base/satellite.  The only thing connected by ethernet to Uverse would be the Orbi base.

Furthermore, best to put your Uverse into "bridge mode" and let Orbi serve your DNS.  It's simples if Orbi is your one home network and does everything for you.

Message 5 of 12
QuiltyC
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@QuiltyC wrote:

Was this working before the Orbi system was installed?

Are the NAD and the desktop both connected to the Orbi ethernet, or are they connected to UVerse?

Would you mind reporting the IP addresses of the NAD, desktop, and iPad?

Thanks

It was working before the Orbi as installed.

The Orbi is connected directly to the UVerse router and the NAD a connected through an unmanaged switch which connects to the UVerse router.

The ip addresses are:

NAD 192.168.1.93

Desktop 192.168.1.155

iPad 192.168.1.190

Message 6 of 12
QuiltyC
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

I keep forgetting that the forum is highly asynchronous.  (Hours can go by betweenposts.)

Where I was going with the questions is this: If the desktop and NAD are connected to the UVerse, they will get IP addresses from UVerse.

The iPad will get an IP address from Orbi.

They will be in different subnets.

The iPad will "know" that the NAD is not on the same subnet, and will send packets to the Orbi gateway saying, "Please send this where it goes."  The NAD will not have any idea where the iPad is.

The solution is to move the NAD and desktop connection to the Orbi. (or, at least the NAD).

Or... I have wasted everybody's time.

Definitely not wasting anyone's time.  Thank you for the help.

I will try making the Orbi the DHCP server and plugging it into a switch and then everything else into that switch.  I will turn off dhcp server on the UVerse router.  So, UVerse cable from UVerse router to switch, and then switch to Orbi, and then everything else into switch.   Does that make sense?

Message 7 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@QuiltyC wrote:

I will try making the Orbi the DHCP server and plugging it into a switch and then everything else into that switch.  I will turn off dhcp server on the UVerse router.  So, UVerse cable from UVerse router to switch, and then switch to Orbi, and then everything else into switch.   Does that make sense?

Oh, dear. No.  UVerse to Orbi to switch. Everything "downstream" of the Orbi.

Message 8 of 12
QuiltyC
Aspirant

Will try that.

Also, I assume that the UVerse router will remain as the lone DHCP server.

Message 9 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@QuiltyC wrote:

Will try that.

Also, I assume that the UVerse router will remain as the lone DHCP server.

That is a separate issue.  I am not certain if it is possible to place UVerse into "bridge mode".

Having UVerse assign IP's (only to the Orbi router because that's the only device plugged directly into UVerse) and then having Orbi assign IP's to everything else works 99% of the time.  Thousands of customers plug their WiFi router into the ISP box and do absolutely nothing to the ISP box.

This results in what is called a "Double NAT" condition which works 99% of the time, (I have actually run a "Triple NAT" - three routers)

There are specific situations that a Double NAT renders impossible, such as setting up OpenVPN to get into the Orbi from the internet, forwarding ports for servers or IP security cameras, and certain internet gaming. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

The original problem was that the desktop and NAD were connected to UVerse and WiFi devices were connected to the Orbi. They were in separate IP subnets.  By connecting only the Orbi to UVerse and everything else to the Orbi, then all devices are in the same IP subnet and can "see" each other correctly.

Message 10 of 12
QuiltyC
Aspirant

Thanks. This double NAT is working, and I can see the NAD M50 now.
Message 11 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Good. You may never have a situation where this needs to be revisited.  Very few people want to forward ports, VPN into the Orbi, or host internet games.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7