Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi

Hisss427
Aspirant

Orbi

How do you hook up a Netgear Ethernet switch, GS108 to the orbi so you can have more Ethernet slots?

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

LAN cable from 1 port to the switch. ALl other devices including RBS LAN cable connected to the switch. Daisy Chain needs to be disabled if using ethernet connected RBS. 

Message 2 of 8
Hisss427
Aspirant

Thank you! 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 8

Orbi RBR50 connecting to ethernet switch

Furry, hello. May I ask a connected question for clarity? You may recall my other post that concluded in me having to unplug my RBS50 satellite. As a result, I am considering moving my Orbi RBR50 router so that it is more centrally located in my house, and due to a number of physical restrictions that I won't bore you with, I will need to connect my existing hard-wire devices, (Hue light hub, Amazon Fire TV boxes, Sonos speakers), to an ethernet switch. I appreciate that some of them can connect via wifi, but have found that I get a much more stable connection if they are hard wired (and I have already done the wiring)! From the diagram that your post pointed to, can I simply assume that in my instance, (which is sort of represented by the last diagram), that I would have my modem connected to the yellow "Internet" port on the Orbi as I do now, an ethernet cable from one of the remaining three Orbi ports connected to the main port of the switch, and from the remaining ports on the switch, my other devices conected by their own ethernet cables? Is this going to work, or will the Orbi conflict with the switch in some dastardly way? I appreciate that the switch needs to be gigabit in size.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 connecting to ethernet switch

Yes, that will work fine.

Yes Gb LAN switch is recommended. Non managed and Non Green Ethernet as well. 

@chickenlegs99 wrote:

Furry, hello. May I ask a connected question for clarity? You may recall my other post that concluded in me having to unplug my RBS50 satellite. As a result, I am considering moving my Orbi RBR50 router so that it is more centrally located in my house, and due to a number of physical restrictions that I won't bore you with, I will need to connect my existing hard-wire devices, (Hue light hub, Amazon Fire TV boxes, Sonos speakers), to an ethernet switch. I appreciate that some of them can connect via wifi, but have found that I get a much more stable connection if they are hard wired (and I have already done the wiring)! From the diagram that your post pointed to, can I simply assume that in my instance, (which is sort of represented by the last diagram), that I would have my modem connected to the yellow "Internet" port on the Orbi as I do now, an ethernet cable from one of the remaining three Orbi ports connected to the main port of the switch, and from the remaining ports on the switch, my other devices conected by their own ethernet cables? Is this going to work, or will the Orbi conflict with the switch in some dastardly way? I appreciate that the switch needs to be gigabit in size.

Message 6 of 8

Thank you - Green Ethernet...so many things you know!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Here to help. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos