Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi54 and Verizon WiFi extender in conflict

jefferis
Guide

Orbi54 and Verizon WiFi extender in conflict

So I have an Orbi54 router and RBS50 extender.  Attached via Ethernet to the RBS50 extender is a Verizon Network Extender, (installed because of poor Verizon cell service).  This satellite reports having a good connection to the Orbi base.  What I found out is that this Verizon extender is interfering with my wifi connections.  My laptop, 1 floor below is getting a spotty service of about 19 down and 5 up. It is connected to the Satellite.  In contrast, my desktop in my office is connected to a different RB50 satellite (whose signal connection to base reports as poor), but it is getting about 3x that speed. I.e.,  it is far from the Verizon unit. 

The Verizon extender is LTE 4G.     My Macbook Pro 2020 reports a 5G connection to the Satellite 1 floor up. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for settings in the Orbi interface that might help me eliminate or reduce this problem?  

Thanks in advance,

Jeff 

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi54 and Verizon WiFi extender in conflict

It would help to clarify the exact product numbers:

• With the Orbi satellites having product number RBS50 (S for "satellite"), the ORBI54 is probably an RBR50 (R for "router").  This will appear on the product label on the bottom of the case.
    (At the factory, Orbi units are given WiFi names (SSIDs) composed of the letters O-R-B-I plus a random two digit number.  This will lower the chance that two neighbors will purchase units that broadcast identical WiFi names.  Many customers choose to change the WiFi name to something more personal during the setup process.
  • The  model number of that Verizon 4G LTE unit is????

It is not entirely clear what would be the purpose of connecting the Verizon LTE unit  to the Orbi network

If the goal is to improve Verizon LTE telephone service inside the house, then the Verizon unit should not require a connection to the home WiFi network.

Message 2 of 7
Powerless
Aspirant

It appears that the Verizon extender might be causing interference with your Wi-Fi connections, leading to the spotty service on your laptop. One possible solution is to try changing the Wi-Fi channels on your Orbi router to minimize the interference. You can access the Orbi interface and navigate to the Wi-Fi settings to make this adjustment. Experiment with different channels to see if it improves the connectivity on your laptop.

Message 3 of 7
jefferis
Guide

ORBI54 Hardware Version

RBR50

Firmware Version

V2.7.4.24

• VERIZON INFO: 
  • The 4G LTE Network Extender must be connected to an available LAN port on a router or modem with always-on Internet access with a minimum download speed of 10 Mbps and an upload speed of 5 Mbps. Speeds of 20 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload or higher are recommended.

• The 4G LTE Network Extender requires a continuous GPS signal from the provided GPS antenna. To find GPS at initial power up, four strong GPS satellite signals must be available. For better GPS signal strength, please pull out and unwrap 23’ GPS extension cable which is stored at the back of the Network Extender to position the GPS antenna as close to a

window as possible. Refer to Section 2.2 (GPS).

Only says it is made by Toshiba. It has a SKU  but not a model number. 

Message 4 of 7
jefferis
Guide

I have tried a different channel, but it didn't seem to help.  I don't know what channel the Network Extender is using though. It doesn't say in the software interface. 

Message 5 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @jefferis ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that your Verizon 4G LTE Network Extender is interfering with your Orbi Mesh Network. This could be due to a high transmit power on your 4G LTE Network Extender. Please turn down your transmit power to 40 percent then note any differences. You may have to adjust it periodically to optimize your network. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 6 of 7
jefferis
Guide

Thank you for the suggestion.  I lowered the broadcast to 40% on the Network extender and it did not seem to make a difference. I ran a test with software called Ultra Wifi, and it seems that my connection from my mac to my Orbi router is 70 down and 8 up, Ping is 122 and RPM is 61, over wifi.

I can't tell from the interface if it is just testing local network or is testing my Internet speed. Every other test I run in a browser (Speedtest.net, Fast.com) shows a much slower connection.  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7