Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4 availability

tlegru
Tutor

Message 126 of 258
radamo
Apprentice

My experiences upgrading to 2.1.4.10 from the recent 2.1.3.4 release was as follows. 

• I used the Orbi app to request the update
  • Waited while the system was updated
  • Tried to open the app and it could not connect
  • Tried from my PC and the orbi login page would not operate cleanly... loaded once but really messed up and slow
  • Shut down the router
  • Pulled the ethernet wire out of my satellite
  • Restarted the router and system booted and connected
  • Checked the PC orbilogin, all looked good
  • Re-plugged in my ethernet cable to my satellite
  • System recognized the wired backhaul 

All seems to be rock solid again.  Seems I have to remember to go back to wireless backhaul when updating firmware.  Hope this helps someone else. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 127 of 258
Nest68
Aspirant

Tx for link to 40-system. Updated and all working well so far. Don't have a complex system though, only one satellite.
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 128 of 258
RonV42
Luminary

I received the update Wednesday and has been running smoothly on my two satellite system.  Each satellite is using Wifi backhaul with the router in the middle of the house.  Didn't have to run any factory reset.  I have over 60 devices connected including Roku's, Xboxes, and phones, 40 are wireless.  If I look I have a good connections to the RBS50's and RBR50.  I haven't done a factory reset for over 6 months now when I participated in a prevoius beta.

Message 129 of 258
Mjacobs732
Tutor

Updated on 5/26.  Tried to watch Netflix on LG OLED TV on 5/27.  No dice: LG didn't connect to system.  Almost got fired from my tech support role in our household.  Did factory reset.  Connection seems OK now.  

Message 130 of 258
loomis1975
Luminary

Waited till RBS40 had autoupdate 2.1.4 available.

RBS50Y just got 2.1.3 the other day, so didn't want to wait for that one.

Used the autoupdate for the first time in forever for 2.1.4 to RBS50/RBS40/RBR50.  Worked like a charm, was back up and running and stable in 5 minutes or so.  I did go ahead and reboot the RBS50Y 3 minutes after I started the autoupdate for good measure.

Correct daisy chain was reestablished and everything seems to be working fine.

Now for the long term stability test.

I am one of the fortunate ones that hasn't had to master reset or turn off features to troubleshoot this year.

Message 131 of 258
SwedBear
Tutor

My experience in short: It might be the combination of Daisy Chain and wired Ethernet that is the issue. it seems it was for me. Oh, and also  - DO NOT AUTOUPDATE, expecially not with known issues with 2 or more satellites. 

------------

I have 1 RBK50 and two RBS50. Both satellites have been using wired ethernet backhaul.  Up until yesterday everything worked fine. I was running 2.1.3.x beta and had no big issues. The only thing I can remember is my wife complaining a few times her iPhoneX have some issues keeping a connection but every other Apple-product (4 iPads) have had no issues. 

Speeds around 800-900 Mbps via wired (I got 1 Gbps fiber) and my Mac Book Pro easily gets around 500-600 Mbps via WiFI. 

This morning my son wakes me up at 6 AM saying the Internet is down. I let him use my phones network via hotspot and started investigating later in the morning. 

I noticed that after I turned both satellites off Internet worked again. 

I factory reset both the router and the sateliites (I didn't actually notice the firmware had been updated but guessed I had to restart from scratch to find the issue) and set up both satellites via WiFI. Everything worked fine. 

I took one of the satellites down to the garage and hooked it up to Wired Ethernet. Everything seems to work fine. I then hooked up the 1st sateliite that is in our livingroom to wired ethernet since "why not. I have ethernet there so might as well use it". In a minute or so the admin showed this satellite also was wired. And then the whole network went down. Could not access admin via wired connection. 

Removed the wire and let the satellites use WIFI again: the network came up again. 

While writing this I rememebered people talking about Daisy-chain. Sine I do not use it (I might later as I want to place a satellite in a room that is close to the garage but far from the router and which has so-so coverage) I turned it off. Router and satellites rebooted and I then hooked the second satellite up to wired ethernet again. And this time the network has not gone down. 

I'm going to continue monitoring the network to see if it continues to stay up. 

As for auto-update. I find it inexcusable. In my situation I had the time and opportunity to go through and set everything up again. However, I also have a RBK30 Orbi network in our "summer-house" where also one of my backup-NAS are situated. If that one goes down I will not be able to get to there until in a few weeks. The idea that you push out a firmware update that has KNOWN issues with 2 or more satellites is absurd to me. And the amount of people posting here about the issues they've had from the auto-update show that it really is not a good idea. I test a lot of network stuff and no other router I've used and tested has auto-pushed a firmware. The router is simply to important piece to accidently bring down via an autoupdate. 

Message 132 of 258
Elofi
Tutor

I have the same situation and I noticed the daisy chaining network is enabled by default with the new firmware update. I disabled the function since my satallite is having poor signal and the connection through wire was the only solution. however, I rebooted only the RBR50 router and did not rebooted my two stallites RBS50.

I hope after the reboot it will be fixed. 

Thank you for the hint. I will update you after a little while.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 133 of 258
turns2stone
Apprentice

@FURRYe38

So I got a little brave today and tried to establish wired backhaul with this firmware. Both RBS50 (and of course RBS50Y) were doing fine with wireless backhaul. So, I plugged satellite #1 into LAN. After about 5 minutes, the web interface reported Wired backhaul.. yeah!

Then I got brave and plugged satellite #2 into LAN. Crash, boom, bang! Brought the entire system down. Had to reboot router, and all three satellites. Also had to unplug LAN from both satellites and set up the entire system again with Wi-Fi backhaul. Once I had everything back into a steady state, I tried plugging satellite #1 into LAN again, and did get it working via wired backhaul. But I'm not going to try with satellite #2. I have zero confidence it will work.

TL;DR - wired backhaul seems to work a bit better with this firmware, but still too unstable to advertised as a "feature" IMO.

Message 134 of 258
Yamamoto
Star

Update......

system was working fine for a few days (no daisy chain, not ethernet) until yesterday

router on 2.1.4.10

rbs50  on 2.1.4.10

rbs50 on 2.1.4.10

rbs50y was on 2.1.2.20 until yesterday, then updated to 2.1.3.4 (this is where the problems began)

After the rbs50y upgrading to 2.1.3.4, we had trouble loading certain websites.  After disconnecting all satellites, and only using the router, the problem persisted.  Come to find out disney circle started to become a problem, after the firmware upgrade on a satellite.  Even after I unplugged all satellites.

Looking into the circle filtering, nothing is being filtered, I even set all users so that all websites are allowed, I still could not load some websites.  The status bar in safari would just hang.  Circle said we accessed the problematic websites with not problem filtering, yet the site would not load.

When I disabled circle, all websites loaded no problem.  I reset circle and set it up again, and same problem.  

for some reason, the new versions of firmware, 2.1.4.1 is now triggering problems with Disney circle.

NETGEAR, ALLOW US TO DOWNGRADE TO A STABLE FIRMWARE WITH NO AUTO UPDATES.

YOU ARE MAKING A FOOLISH BUSINESS DECISION.  THIS WILL PROVE TO BE  A LIABILITY FOR SOMEBODY ON YOUR STAFF.

Message 135 of 258
Roostlick
Initiate

Considering Netgear themselves recommend having router and satellite on the same version of firmware, is there any reason why they've auto updated my RBR40, but then there's no auto update for my RBW30 meaning they are now on different firmware versions which apparently according to Netgear, isn't recommended?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 136 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

They probably haven't had a change to get all product lines up to the same level as of yet. 

Latest version for the RBW30 is here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000055986/RBW30-Firmware-Version-2-1-3-6

Can be manually downloaded and manually installed if needed.

@Roostlick wrote:

Considering Netgear themselves recommend having router and satellite on the same version of firmware, is there any reason why they've auto updated my RBR40, but then there's no auto update for my RBW30 meaning they are now on different firmware versions which apparently according to Netgear, isn't recommended?

Message 137 of 258
RJD
Star
Star

I tried my RBR50 on latest firmware 2.1.4.x and the RBW30’s on 2.1.3.6 and it didn’t like it at all so switched them off until a new firmware was available but then gave up completely and purchased Google Wifi, only 2 days in and already notice more stability and a better system. Naturally need to give it more time before fully committing but considering the 16 months of pain with Netgear even having 2 days of hassle free WiFi across all my mix of devices has been awesome.
Message 138 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully NG will release the 30 series FW soon. Keep an eye out. 

@RJD wrote:
I tried my RBR50 on latest firmware 2.1.4.x and the RBW30’s on 2.1.3.6 and it didn’t like it at all so switched them off until a new firmware was available but then gave up completely and purchased Google Wifi, only 2 days in and already notice more stability and a better system. Naturally need to give it more time before fully committing but considering the 16 months of pain with Netgear even having 2 days of hassle free WiFi across all my mix of devices has been awesome.

Message 139 of 258
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

I had the 30's update two days beofre the 40. Firmware on the 30's have never been the same on the 40's or 50's. The latest firmware for 30's is 2.1.3.6 I believe, which updated a couple of days before the 40's updated to 2.1.4.10. Since there is no wired backhaul involved if one or more of your satellites are 30's, they would not take the exact same firmware as the 40's or 50's.

Message 140 of 258
Elofi
Tutor

I have tried what you said "SwedBear" and it is working so far. I guess this is the soluition for the firmware, for who is using wired to connect to satallite, the new firmware will enable the daisy channing which enable the poor signal over the wired connection, and this is what created the bug.

Good luck everyone 🙂

Message 141 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 142 of 258
bryandmlee
Apprentice

I updated from 2.1.3.4 to 2.1.4.10 two days back and everything is still working fine, one RBR50 router & one RBS50 satellite. If it helps anyone, I updated using my MacBook Pro plugged in via Ethernet and updating from the update prompt in the firmware settings.

Message 143 of 258
Heliix
Guide

AmitR

That last 2 updates you pushed, knockled out my router. (the last and this one)

both times I am traveling a week for work. This knocks out our alarm system and home automation. 

This is not acceptable. i have had the Orbi for only 4 monts and i cant return it.  

Please how can i return for a full refund for the the Router and 2 satelites?

MikeS

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 144 of 258
Sdiver2489
Apprentice

Anyone have any ideas of what I can try to do to fix my Rainmachine? It's the only device that drops its connection after a few days. The only thing to get it back to normal is to disconnect it and reconnect it to the router. I don't think even a reboot of the rainmachine works.

Never had this issue with my old Asus router.

Message 145 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using on the router? try manual channel 1, 6 or 11.

Any other wifi neighbors near by? How many?

Try setting WPA and TPIK only and test.

Try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming.

What is the distance between this rain machine device and the router or satellite? Feet?

@Sdiver2489 wrote:

Anyone have any ideas of what I can try to do to fix my Rainmachine? It's the only device that drops its connection after a few days. The only thing to get it back to normal is to disconnect it and reconnect it to the router. I don't think even a reboot of the rainmachine works.

Never had this issue with my old Asus router.

Message 146 of 258
computersteve
Apprentice

A problem im noticing after the 2.1.4 update is if something causes the power to go out to the orbi router, then the satelites have an issue reconnecting on there own without a manual reboot. This wasn't the case in earlier versions. I also tried changing the channels, disabling/reenabling fast roaming, MU-MIMO, Beamforming to no effect on the problem. Thing is other than that the system is working pretty stable. So far no devices have just dropped off my network or lost connectivity. Looking through these forums that doesn't seem like the norm. Lets hope it remains that way *crossing my fingers* lol 

Message 147 of 258
Matjuhnl
Tutor

Dear all,

After updating to the newest firmware I faced some issues as well.

Of course I had to do a factory reset and unplug all satellites because everything seemed to be dead. After a factory reset I plugged my first satellite back in (wired) and turned it on. So far so good.. After plugging in my second satellite (wired) the whole network dropped :(. Of course this made me feel a bit confused. But after turning this second satellite back off it seemed to be okay again. 

WTF is going on here? From one day to another my whole network seemed to be dead as hell. I saw some solutions over here which is plugging the ethernet cable in after syncing wirelesly.. This is no option to me since the router and satellite are 15+ meters away from eachother.

Anyone got a solution how to fix this major issue?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 148 of 258
budy
Luminary

@Matjuhnl wrote:

Dear all,

After updating to the newest firmware I faced some issues as well.

Of course I had to do a factory reset and unplug all satellites because everything seemed to be dead. After a factory reset I plugged my first satellite back in (wired) and turned it on. So far so good.. After plugging in my second satellite (wired) the whole network dropped :(. Of course this made me feel a bit confused. But after turning this second satellite back off it seemed to be okay again. 

WTF is going on here? From one day to another my whole network seemed to be dead as hell. I saw some solutions over here which is plugging the ethernet cable in after syncing wirelesly.. This is no option to me since those satellite are 15+ meters away from eachother.

Anyone got a solution how to fix this major issue?

From what I have learned, it's best to poweroff the satellite(s) remove the LAN cables and power them on again. Wait until the satellites have registered with your router and then olug the cable in one at a time. Give it some minutes to synchronize and you should be good to go.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 149 of 258
Matjuhnl
Tutor

I can do this. But my satellite will never register to my router wirelessly since those are way to far away from eachother..

Message 150 of 258
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7