Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Overlapping two Orbi systems

Overlapping two Orbi systems

HI folks,

How does Orbi handle interference both on backhaul and user wifi if two systems are close to each other?

I have a scenario where two seperate networks are next door to each other but there is a requirement to use wifi from both in both dwellings. The networks have to be kept seperate supplied by two different WANs yet work in the same physical space.

User wifi can ben kept apart with channel separation, it's the backhaul that I'm unsure about.

The logical plan is:

Dwelling 1                   Dwelling 2

RBK50(network a)      RBS50(network a)

RBS50(network b)      RBK50(network b)

Physical placement of each seperate network router to satellite per dwelling can be spaced apart by about 40 feet +/-

Any advice greatfully received.

Message 1 of 8

Re: Overlapping two Orbi systems

Excuse my error:

I am referring to RBR50 routers not RBK50 - I see RBK refers to Kit.

Message 2 of 8

in theory the backhaul signal should see its been interfered with and move to another channel because they use the dfs channels or alrt the higher channels

havnt tried it so cant be 100% sure but rime will tell for you

Message 3 of 8
cyberprashant
Luminary

I'm using 2 ORBI's- one for a guest & IoT network that is physically separated from a secure private network.   Both ORBI's are connected to a border router in a Y-configuration (Seems like way overkill but the rationale behind this can be found here: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Steve-Gibsons-Three-Router-Solution-IOT-Insecurity

So far seems to be OK, but occasionally I'm having some trouble getting consistent speeds on the newer 2nd set of RBR/RBS50.   I will keep u posted here.    So far I set One rotuer to channel 1 and the other to channel 11.   I'm hoping the backhaul channels auto-steer.  

Message 4 of 8

sorry but rartional

@cyberprashant wrote:

overkill but the rationale behind this can be found here: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Steve-Gibsons-Three-Router-Solution-IOT-Insecurity

sorry but rational thinking and that man and his web site are worlds apart , all you achieve is dual nat

you have heard of vlans ? far better and less messy way to go and just as secure

Message 5 of 8
cyberprashant
Luminary

Maybe...but vlans could be subject to arp poisioning and vlan hopping attacks....the idea being vlans were never designed for security: https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/networkdevs/virtual-lan-security-weaknesses-countermea...
Message 6 of 8

and you think  grc.com method makes it any more secure ?

but vlans are far better imho

Message 7 of 8
st_shaw
Master

@cyberprashant wrote:

I'm using 2 ORBI's- one for a guest & IoT network that is physically separated from a secure private network.   Both ORBI's are connected to a border router in a Y-configuration (Seems like way overkill but the rationale behind this can be found here: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Steve-Gibsons-Three-Router-Solution-IOT-Insecurity

So far seems to be OK, but occasionally I'm having some trouble getting consistent speeds on the newer 2nd set of RBR/RBS50.   I will keep u posted here.    So far I set One rotuer to channel 1 and the other to channel 11.   I'm hoping the backhaul channels auto-steer.  

Orbi isn't the best choice for this kind of setup.  Orbi uses a lot of channels and provides almost no opportunity to adjust channel usage and power to avoid overlap and interference.

Make sure you select "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" on Orbi, otherwise your Orbis will use 40 Mhz channel width on 2.4 GHz and they will overlap each other.

I'm not sure you can do anything to avoid overlap on 5 GHz.  The channels offered in the GUI are 36,40,44,48.  These are all part of a single 80 MHz channel, and changing the setting doesn't change the channel usage. So two Orbi systems would overlap and interfere. I don't know whether the backhaul is smart enough to avoid interference, but you can't do anything to adjust that either.

Something like the Unifi APs would work better for this setup, because multiple APs could be adjusted to avoid interference.  The Unifi APs also allow one AP to broadcast two SSIDs segregated on two isolated VLANs, reducing the amount of hardware required.

The Steve Gibson article seems like a silly approach, when you can buy a single Edgerouter or Mikrotik with multiple Ethernet ports for ~$50. These routers will do what's described in the article in one box.  Each LAN port can have its own subnet, and you can isolate and control access using firewall rules. You could also isolate IOT devices from each other using a switch with port isolation.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7