Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PS4 won't connect to my Orbi RBR10

RawEddie
Aspirant

PS4 won't connect to my Orbi RBR10

*Note: my mesh system id the RBR10/RBS10, it won't find it on the model search bar*

My PS4 won't connect to my new Orbi router, when trying to connect to the network it gives me a "DNS not found" i put a DNS manually, still gives me a "won't connect to network".

My configuration is a mesh system, Main router is in the middle of the house and the satellites are on the top floor and basement where my Ps4 is currently. Every other device connects to the satellite no problem with either 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. I have reset both router and PS4 and still gives and error. I have put in the network in manually, didn't work. I have selected "only connect to 5GHz networks", didn't work. WPS button on my satellite, didn't work. Simply unplugging both routers/satellites and PS4 nothing worked.

There is a firmware update that released about a week ago 02/16/2021. Should i update the firmware hoping the issue is fixed? Or is there another solution for my particular problem.

My current setup is having an extender connected via Ethernet with the Main router, and from there connecting my PS4 to the extender but that isn't very ideal.

Edit: previously with the router that my network company gave me, my ps4 would connect to it no problem(5GHz and 2.4GHz, so it isn't a PS4 problem i suppose.
Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: PS4 won't connect to my Orbi RBR10

Changing Orbi firmware is not likely to improve the situation, and may introduce new issues.  I would solve the PS4 problem first and delay updating Orbi firmware until there is a lot of evidence that the update has gone smoothly for other users.

Is this the procedure being followed?

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/playstation-4-ps4-wifi-connection/ 

Does the PS4 display the "results" of the connection?

(IP address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS server)

Message 2 of 24
RawEddie
Aspirant

Everything on the link is being followed.

When trying to connect
1. 5GHz bands only
2. Choose my wifi
3. Use the "easy" setup
4. No proxy
5. Attempts to connect and displays "a DNS server cannot be used, The DNS server didn't respond in time.

After this i usually go into custom mode instead of easy and i use a general DNS server, (1.1.1.1). Custom mode has; IP address settings to Automatic, DHCP to Do not specify, DNS to Manual primary: 1.1.1.1 and secondary 1.0.0.1. , MTU to automatic, proxy server to do not use.

When i completed all of that i test internet connection

SSID: Wifi Name
Obtaining IP address: Successful
Internet connection: Failed "cannot connect to server within the time limit."

ive contacted support of both Netgear and PSN and they both blamed eachother.

Is there anything that im doing wrong or that should i change and let me know if you need more details.

Thanks in advance!
Message 3 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

Have never used PS4, so some of the networking choices are "new to me". (particularly Defining the DHCP server - learn something every day!)

The process seems entirely correct to me.  What it sounds like is either the gateway IP address or the subnet mask is incorrect. This would cause attempts to contact a DNS server to fail.  The gateway should be the IP of the Orbi router and the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

The Orbi is configured as a "router", correct?  Other devices connect and function correctly?

When the PS4 connects, the Orbi Attached Devices (or "app") shows the PS4 having an IP address that falls within the DHCP range?

Message 4 of 24
RawEddie
Aspirant

Glad you are learning ahaha.

But yea when trying to do a custom IP adress setup i am too fill in these:

IP address

Subnet Mask 

Default Gateway

Primary DNS

Secondary DNS

It also come with a PPPoE but i dont think its useful here.

The IP adress like you have told me can be found on the Orbi router itself, Subnet like you said should be 255.255.255.0, but what do i put in the Default Gateway and the DNS's.

Yes everyother device in my house connects and functions properly. The PS4 never techincally never connects, its connected via an extender that is connected to the router. I honnestly do not know what a DHCP is and i know a lot less if it falls within the range of the DHCP. I am still new too everything wifi related.

Message 5 of 24
vajim
Master

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/PS4-Refusing-to-connect-to-Orbi-WiFi/m-p/1697509

you will notice in this thread are posts that agree with what I've been saying for years.  In MOST cases it's the firmware and I'm NOT the only who is tired of chasing useless questions when all they did was roll the firmware back.  You can thank me now.

Message 6 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

DHCP is an internet protocol used by devices to request networking parameters, which consist of:

• An IP address
  • A subnet mask, which defines the "local network"
  • A gateway IP which leads to the Wide Area Network (Internet)
  • IP of one or more DNS servers which are used to resolve URL's into IP addresses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol 

Using the PS4 "Easy" WiFi connection method should fill in all of these parameters with valid entries. There should be no need to do anything manually.  (I, personally, would let the PS4 decide if it wants to connect at 2.4G or 5G, but I do not think that is part of the issue here.)

Does the PS4 show you the actual networking values for IP, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS server?

Message 7 of 24
RawEddie
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for the breif explication!

But yeah, whent the PS4 is connected via the extender it does display all of those listed. IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, primary and secondary DNS, AC address, MAC address, MTU etc.. 

I took a picture of all of those, went into Manual inserted the same values in where it asked, and it got the IP adress successfully but the internet connection failed. 

When attempting to connect to the 2.4GHz band, it worked successfully, is the problem in the 5Ghz band not being able to communicate with the PS4. I am lost ahaha ;(

Quick edit: when not specifying my PS4 to use the 5GHz band only and choosing the ORBI wifi it worked, but when viewing the network statuts it shows that it is using the 5Ghz band, but only goes up to 30Mgbs when my network can go well over 30 in the 5GHz band

Message 8 of 24
vajim
Master

@RawEddie wrote:

When attempting to connect to the 2.4GHz band, it worked successfully, is the problem in the 5Ghz band not being able to communicate with the PS4. I am lost ahaha ;(

you do realize that in a mesh system there is only one SSID?

Message 9 of 24
RawEddie
Aspirant

I do, but my mesh system supports 2.4 and 5Ghz, which the device can choose depending many things i assume. My roku streaming stick is connected via the 2.4GHz band but my tv is connected via the 5Ghz.

Message 10 of 24
vajim
Master

@RawEddie wrote:

I do, but my mesh system supports 2.4 and 5Ghz, which the device can choose depending many things i assume. My roku streaming stick is connected via the 2.4GHz band but my tv is connected via the 5Ghz.

wow....i believe ALL orbi's are mesh, but it's not the device that chooses.  your roku is going to 2.4 because the orbi said so and the roku can operate in both freqs so it doesn't care, perhaps the PS4 can NOT.

Message 11 of 24
RawEddie
Aspirant

When my ps4 connected to the ORBI wifi, which i assume is using the 2.4GHz band while being listed as the 5GHz band, anything related too wifi doesn't work even if it gives me speeds of 30Mgps

Message 12 of 24
RawEddie
Aspirant

That can or is most probable, but if i had my old router from my ISP, the PS4 would connect with the 5GHz band no problem. May i say that the first Generation of PS4's didn't support the 5GHz band but i have the Slim edition which does.

Message 13 of 24
vajim
Master

@RawEddie wrote:

When my ps4 connected to the ORBI wifi, which i assume is using the 2.4GHz band while being listed as the 5GHz band, anything related too wifi doesn't work even if it gives me speeds of 30Mgps

ok perhaps I don't understand your problem.  

New orbi???

Did it ever connect??

With the Ori you don't see seperate SSIDs.

Message 14 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

@RawEddie wrote:

But yeah, whent the PS4 is connected via the extender it does display all of those listed. IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, primary and secondary DNS, AC address, MAC address, MTU etc.. 

I took a picture of all of those, went into Manual inserted the same values in where it asked, and it got the IP adress successfully but the internet connection failed.

I am not confident that the network values supplied by an "exender" are identical to those provided directly by the Orbi.

@RawEddie wrote:

Quick edit: when not specifying my PS4 to use the 5GHz band only and choosing the ORBI wifi it worked, but when viewing the network status it shows that it is using the 5Ghz band, but only goes up to 30Mgbs when my network can go well over 30 in the 5GHz band

Does this mean, the PS4 "works", but does not seem to have as fast a connection speed as desired?  i.e. the original problem is solved?

Message 15 of 24
vajim
Master

@RawEddie wrote:

That can or is most probable, but if i had my old router from my ISP, the PS4 would connect with the 5GHz band no problem. May i say that the first Generation of PS4's didn't support the 5GHz band but i have the Slim edition which does.

both does it support both freqs?

how is the PS4 setup....on the tv screen?

Message 16 of 24
RawEddie
Aspirant

i am as confused as you ahaha, ive had this Orbi for over 4-5 months it never connected to my PS4, i just recently decided to try to fix the issue, and no with the ORBI i dont see 2 seperate SSID, the ps4 can choose which band to connect too.

Message 17 of 24
RawEddie
Aspirant

My ps4 does support both freqs, and what do you mean? do you want a picture or want me to describe it.

Message 18 of 24
vajim
Master

@RawEddie wrote:

i am as confused as you ahaha, ive had this Orbi for over 4-5 months it never connected to my PS4, i just recently decided to try to fix the issue, and no with the ORBI i dont see 2 seperate SSID, the ps4 can choose which band to connect too.

and that's the way it should be.  

I thought I read somewhere where you were using an extender...??  If so, perhaps that gave the PS4 what it needed.

and then of course there's the issue of the firmware....

Message 19 of 24
vajim
Master

@RawEddie wrote:

My ps4 does support both freqs, and what do you mean? do you want a picture or want me to describe it.

no that's ok.....if your PS4 supports both freqs then it should connect.

i have the xbox one and i just hooked it up and gave it the orbi password and it connected.

Message 20 of 24
RawEddie
Aspirant

Yeah, thats why i kinda forgot about it, the extender connected via Ethernet to the main ORBI then from there connecting the PS4 to the 5Ghz band that the Extender is giving works fine, but at the cost of convenience, and slower wifi. 

Message 21 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs 2.4Ghz wifi radios from 100% to 25%, reboot the PS console after the change and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

You might turn Off any RBS temporarily while checking this. 

@RawEddie wrote:

Message 22 of 24
vajim
Master

@RawEddie wrote:

Yeah, thats why i kinda forgot about it, the extender connected via Ethernet to the main ORBI then from there connecting the PS4 to the 5Ghz band that the Extender is giving works fine, but at the cost of convenience, and slower wifi. 

for now while you try to fix the PS4 I would drop the extender and try the orbi alone.

here's another read...you're not alone:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/NETGEAR-ORBI-connection-drops-with-PS4/td-p/1871923

in the thread above there are forum contacts that might be able to help.

or you can keep playing the 1000 questions game

good luck

Message 23 of 24
RawEddie
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 i will try it in a bit i am having issue loging in with the main IP address router tab. I imagine i cannot do those tasks in the app on IOS, i will let you know when i have this sorted out

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7