Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Password reset RBR50v2 WITHOUT knowing Security Questions --- have physical access

dcbarry01
Follower

Password reset RBR50v2 WITHOUT knowing Security Questions --- have physical access

I am helping a client who had a friend who passed away set up his system.  He has a router and 2 satellites set up.   I'm trying to recover access the system without doing a full reset as I am pretty sure there are some customized settings that were made that I want to make sure aren't lost.    (TO be clear, I don't mean the SSID)

The default passwords printed on the device are not valid.     We entered the serial number, but we don't know the security question answers properly, or maybe there were spaces or capitalization issues.   

Is there any other form of recovery.?  Can Netgear possibly do a remote reset of the password? Is there a pinhole trick that will allow a reset but not a full wipe?

As a security guy, I cringe to think it possible, but I know reality is that sometimes things like that are the case.  And in this case, it would be good.

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Password reset RBR50v2 WITHOUT knowing Security Questions --- have physical access

There is no known way to access the unit without knowing the administrative credentials ("admin" and password).

This might not be a terrible situation.

The only customized settings that come to mind would be fairly obvious:

• Port forwarding. Are there any devices on the LAN which people access from the internet?
  • OpenVPN. Was the friend who set up the system the only person who would have used OpenVPN to access it?

Everything else is pretty benign. The only way in is to reset it.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7