Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ping/Lag spikes with RBR40

ransomeb94
Aspirant

Ping/Lag spikes with RBR40

For the last couple of months,  we have purchases and been using the Orbi RBR40 with 2  RBW30 Satellites. The router works great except for myself. I play games and stream on a platform called Twitch.tv. When I am playing games and streaming, I get random spikes in ping and on my obs software (streaming to twitch software) , my bitrate drops from 4500 kb/s to 0 and then goes back up a couple of seconds later.  My neighboorhood  has fiber optic connection and has been working fine with the router that was provided to us, but we needed a bigger range of wifi signal, so that's why we got  the orbi mesh wifi system. I will provide 2 pictures, 1 being the cmd ping to google.com that shows that it works fine for a couple of pings, then the connection seems to spike up in ping or request times out,  then the other picture shows my current Wireless Settings in the  orbilogin page under Advance Wireless Settings. 

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. I have already called netgear a couple of times now and nothing has worked to fix.

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/MBnoQoM

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Ping/Lag spikes with RBR40

(Please forgive my ignorance)

What platform do you use for gaming?  (desktop? laptop? smartphone or tablet?)

How is it connected to the Orbi? (router/satellite, ethernet/wifi)

Thanks

Message 2 of 6
ransomeb94
Aspirant

I have a custom gaming pc with on board wifi. My computer is wirelessly connected. We have the orbi router with 2 satellites and nothing is plugged into the ethernet ports on the orbi router. My pc is connected orbi/satellite.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Is the internet modem/wifi/router still operating as a router?  is its WiFi on or off?

The Orbi is in "router" or "Access Point" (AP) mode?

Message 4 of 6
ransomeb94
Aspirant

It's on Router Mode, we don't have a physical box for the modem. The modem is in a box on the of the house for the internet company use. The weird part is that the internet was fine for me with the router the internet company provided and never had this happen until we got the orbi

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

OK. I think I get it now.  (Sorry I am so slow.)  The modem is outside in a box and there is an ethernet jack inside the house that their WiFi router was connected to.  That was removed and the Orbi plugged in its place, correct?

Just asking: although the WiFi coverage from their router did not cover the entire house, did it provide good coverage to where the gaming PC is located?  One option would be to plug their WiFi router back in, use their WiFi for gaming and the Orbi for other things.

Another option is to plug their router back in, turn off the WiFi, and put the Orbi into "Access Point" (AP) mode.  This is on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Router/AP Mode.  The theory supporting such a move would be that the Orbi "router functions" are what is creating the extra latency on Ping, and that maybe the Access Point mode will not.  There has to be at least one router, and it is better to have only one.

Another avenue to explore is whether the latency issue is "inside the router" or if it is in the "backhaul link" between the router and satellite.  The backhaul link is in the 5G spectrum.  Some users have reported that their network sound systems set up their own 5G link that may interfere with the Orbi.  (Sonos in particular.)  Do you have a network sound system?

Can you run a ping test on any other devices, such as something connected to the same satellite or to the router?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7