Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Possible Bug Report: PPPoE disables itself on RBR50 V2.3.1.60

edeka3
Aspirant

Possible Bug Report: PPPoE disables itself on RBR50 V2.3.1.60

I have a problem with the latest V2.3.1.60 on my RBR50!

The router's PPPoE connection works fine for hours and then turns itself off, so we end up in Double NAT all over again after some time.

I hope you guys can help me as this is very unpleasant. 

I read here that the instabilities were resolved but seemingly they weren't:

https://kb.netgear.com/000060756/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-1-44

If you need any logs feel free to tell me!

Thanks again,

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Possible Bug Report: PPPoE disables itself on RBR50 V2.3.1.60

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

If you configured PPPoE on the Orbi RBR, be sure to enable "Always ON" check box if seen for this configuration. 

Was the v60 FW updated and applied and continued to use the RBR or has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed yet? 

Message 2 of 10
edeka3
Aspirant

Hello! The ISP modem is a Fritzbox 7581, I made sure to enable "Always on".

I updated the Firmware and then did a reset.
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume the isp modem is in bridge mode when your setting up the Orbo to handle PPPoE? 

Can you try the ISP modem in router mode then set up the Orbi for standard DHCP and no PPPoE settings? Disable ALL wifi radios on the ISP modem, configure the ISP modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem.

Message 4 of 10
edeka3
Aspirant

Hello, I am using bridge mode on my Fritzbox, yeah.

I used to have my router behind the isp modem (and router) in normal mode, but the Double NAT caused lots of problems with internet stability and during gaming. My ISP recommended me to use PPPoE.

What should I do now?
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you try the ISP modem in router mode then set up the Orbi for standard DHCP and no PPPoE settings? Disable ALL wifi radios on the ISP modem, configure the ISP modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem. DMZ on the modem will help with double NAT issues. You have to use the DMZ on the modem to avoid this. 

Message 6 of 10
edeka3
Aspirant

DMZ on my Modem does not exist. AVM says it's called exposed host (forwarding all ports). Wouldn't that make it unsafe? I just want to be sure before I do it 🙂
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Oh ok, try that. 

Using the DMZ or Exposed Host is no different than using a stand alone modem that doesn't have a built in Firewall in the first place, and the Orbi in router mode. The main Firewall just moves from modem to Orbi since Orbi has a built in firewall was well. Were just by passing the Firewall on the modem. The Firewall on the Orbi will keep you safe. 

Message 8 of 10
edeka3
Aspirant

Hello! I noticed in my Fritzbox log that at the time the RBR50 disabled the PPPoE my ISP remotely applied settings to my modem and directly after that the internet connection dropped.
Could it be that this interfered with it?

I wrote my ISP and hope I'll have an answer by tomorrow. For now I will leave the settings as they are since I assume this might have caused the problem, what do you think?
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, if the ISP is remotely doing something to the modem and or PPPoE services on the line, this would effect Orbi and the connections. Changes on the line would need to be applied by rebooting the Orbi. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7