× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Printer not connected on satellite but with the router is ok

Kafo
Aspirant

Printer not connected on satellite but with the router is ok

Hello,

I have an HP printer which needs to connect to the wifi in 2.4ghz. When it is connected to the router, no problem is detected, on the other hand when I put it near the satellite it switches to ip address 169 ...... and is therefore not found on the network.

If I turn off the sattelite, the printer reconnects to the router and starts working again.

Do you have any idea what is causing this problem?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kafo wrote:

I have an HP printer which needs to connect to the wifi in 2.4ghz. When it is connected to the router, no problem is detected, on the other hand when I put it near the satellite it switches to ip address 169 ...... and is therefore not found on the network.

If I turn off the sattelite, the printer reconnects to the router and starts working again.

The 169 IP address is a self assigned IP address (https://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/self-assigned+IP+addresses ) which indicates that the printer did not get an IP address from the network through the DHCP process. This IP address is showing up on the HP printer control panel, correct?  (not on the Orbi Attached Devices page). You are correct that it should not make any difference whether the printer is close to the router or satellite.

If this printer has a WPS button (or process) for WiFi connection, it might work to go through the process connecting the printer to the satellite.

Message 2 of 3
Kafo
Aspirant

Thanks for you response.

Indeed, it is on the printer that I see the IP address 169 ...

I have this ip only when I'm connected to the satellite, when I stop the satellite, I receive a normal ip (10.0 ....).

And on the orbi page I see that it is connected to the router.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7