Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Product Model: RBR10

pauldmartinez
Aspirant

Product Model: RBR10

Hello.   I am wondering if i can turn off the 5ghz part of the router/mesh and just use the 2.4ghz on my RBR10 along with the other satellites i have attached to the RBR10?

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Product Model: RBR10

Why do you want to turn off the 5ghz?

It doesn't have the capability to seperate or turn off the band but maybe we can help you with what issue you're having. 

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@pauldmartinez wrote:

Hello.   I am wondering if i can turn off the 5ghz part of the router/mesh and just use the 2.4ghz on my RBR10 along with the other satellites i have attached to the RBR10?

As @plemans pointed out, the 5G WiFi signal on the RBR10 cannot be "turned off" because this model has only one 5G radio and uses it for both user devices and for backhaul connection with the satellites.

On other Orbi models, there is an option on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Wireless that provides an option to broadcast or not broadcast the SSID on the 2.4G channel and on the 5G channel. (Perhaps the RBR10 has the same menu?)  When a device searches for WiFi, it should pick up only the 2.4G channel.  I have a suspicion that some devices are "too clever" and will discover and switch to the 5G channel.  (I have never tested this theory, and am not entirely certain how I would do so.)

I, too, wonder what would be the purpose of not having 5G WiFi capability.

Message 3 of 9
pauldmartinez
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.    So tell me if i am wrong but i am installing Feit Light wifi Switches and on the packaging it says only compatible with 2.4ghz and has a X thru the 5ghz.     So if this is the case it sounds like i would have to change from my RBR10 Router and Satellites to another system that will allow me to turn off the 5ghz.     Please advise and thank you in advance.

Message 4 of 9
pauldmartinez
Aspirant

I am not sure if you can see the reply that i sent to the latest response someone gave me.  please advise as i can post again to you if you cannot

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@pauldmartinez wrote:

Thank you for your reply.    So tell me if i am wrong but i am installing Feit Light wifi Switches and on the packaging it says only compatible with 2.4ghz and has a X thru the 5ghz.     So if this is the case it sounds like i would have to change from my RBR10 Router and Satellites to another system that will allow me to turn off the 5ghz.     Please advise and thank you in advance.

I have purchased a couple of Feit smart plugs.  What the packaging is saying is that the product will work only if there is a 2.4G WiFi network.  This is similar to a product saying "requires 2 AA batteries."  No AA batteries?  Won't work.

The Orbi HAS a 2.4G WiFi. The product cannot detect anything but 2.4G WiFi.  The fact that the Orbi also has 5G WiFi is of no interest to the Feit product.

As an aside, I found the Feit smartphone app cumbersome because I did not realize at one point that what it wanted me to input was the passsword for the Orbi WiFi. I thoght the app was a bid "brain dead".  However, once that issue was ironed out, the Feit smart plugs connected to my Orbi just fine.

Message 6 of 9
pauldmartinez
Aspirant

Thanks a million for this response!  This makes sense.  I will keep in mind the app being cumbersome.   I will revisit this and get the FEIT Switches online!  Ill let you know how it goes

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Will be interested to see how the Feit "smart switch" installation goes.  My only concern would be if the electrial box is metal (which would interfere with WiFi signals).  The vast majority of electical boxes installed in the last 50-60 years have been plastic, so that is probably not going to be an issue for you.

I have "outdoor" smart plugs from several companies, and I was disappointed that the Feit outdoor plug does not allow control of the two outlets individually (as my Tekin and Kasa plugs do).

Message 8 of 9
pauldmartinez
Aspirant

Fortunately our house was built last year and it definitely has plastic boxes.

what do you mean that your outdoor FEIT switches dont control 2 outlets individually?   thanks for elaborating

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7