Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RB40 not working in AP mode with virgin HUB 3.0

fade0508
Aspirant

RB40 not working in AP mode with virgin HUB 3.0

Hi, 

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I could not find a thread that addresses the problem/challenge/issue. 

I recently installed Virgin Media Hub 3.0 and to improve coverage I purchased RBS40. I followed the instructions:

1. reset the modem

2. put my hub 3.0 in modem mode

3. connected the orbi to hub 3.0 via the internet ports. 

At this point in the installation process I was asked for a PPOE username and password (which I  was told by Virgin is my wifi username and password). It didn't work.

I then put my Hub 3.0 back in router mode, and setup my orbi router in AP mode. I suscessfully managed to connect the satelite. I can now get internet by connecting to my Orbi Router and satelite but the Hub 3.0 is still in router mode too (so I have two live routers!!!) but everytime I put the hub 3.0 back in modem mode the Orbi cannot connect to the internet. 

I know I have royally fudged the installation and am hoping if anyone can guide me on getting the hub 3.0 working in modem mode and ORBI in AP mode.

Thank you!

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 1 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Re: RB40 not working in AP mode with virgin HUB 3.0

@fade0508 wrote:

I know I have royally fudged the installation and am hoping if anyone can guide me on getting the hub 3.0 working in modem mode and ORBI in AP mode.

Thank you!

If Orbi is in AP mode, then you must run your Hub 3.0 in router mode.  You need one of the two devices to act as a router.  Your choices are:

Hub (Router mode) --> Orbi (AP mode)

Hub (Modem mode) --> Orbi (Router mode)

Message 2 of 5
fade0508
Aspirant

Thank you! Is there a performance difference between the two setups?

Message 3 of 5
st_shaw
Master

I don't think so.  I run my Orbi in AP mode.  With recent firmware, wired connections through the Orbi "router" are limited to about 700 Mbps. Not sure if Router mode is any faster, but I doubt it.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Besure to use the DMZ on the ISP modem if you run the modem in router mode with the Orbi router in router mode. DMZ helps in this kind of double NAT configuration.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7