Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK 50 transmit power control

indianking
Guide

RBK 50 transmit power control

I have an RBR50 + 2 satellites with the latest firmware. Moved homes - have a 1 Gbps internet connection. The apartment I moved into is smaller than my earlier multi storey house. I get 500- 600 Mbps on my cellphone on Ookla speed test software across the home on wifi. The 5ghz band maxes out at 866 Mbps. 

Also the network is not very stable. I placed the satellites where I have about -62db to -65db power from the router (measured on the wifi analytics on the Orbi app using a samsung s20+ phone). In addition the devices do not roam properly meaining they still remain attached to an distant satellite even if I am closer to a different satellite.

So 2 questions:

1) If it possible to really get more speed from my network say closer to 866 Mbps ? If so how?

2) Will reducing the transmit power (using the Orbi transmit power control setting) actually reduce the backhaul transmit power or does it only influence fronthaul networks ?

Happy to take any help -)

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: RBK 50 transmit power control

You won't hit 866mbps. That's link speed. Actual throughput tends to be 55-65% of what link speed is.

so if you're hitting 500-600mbps, you've pretty much maxed it out. 

How big is the current apartment? 

You might be better with disabling a satellite (not sure how many you have). 

And they need at least 30ft between router/satellites to roam properly. that might be part of the issue to. 

You can experiment with turning down the transmit power. It might help. All you can do is try. 

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Transmit power control affects only the user facing radios, not the router-satellite backhaul links.

Message 3 of 9
indianking
Guide

Thanks for the information..much appreciated.
Message 4 of 9
indianking
Guide

Thanks for the response. My current apartment is a bit more than 2200 sqft and I have a router plus 2 satellites. Many walls though :-). So just one satellite won't work. I used the orbi app to detect signal strength from the router before placing the satellites. I have good wifi coverage but it is too sticky when moving between satellites. So was thinking of reducing transmit power to see if the switching of roaming devices can be seamless. Hence the question to experts in the community .
Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Its worth trying. 

I'd also check to see if you have it setup in a star configuration or daisy chained. 

Star: satellite<------router----->satellite

daisy: router------->satellite-------->satellite

Message 6 of 9
indianking
Guide

Thanks.. I have disabled daisy chain. It is star config..
Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Definately worth trying 50% on the RBR. For that size of home only 1 RBS is really needed, however if building materials are being a factor, then ya, two RBS would be needed however I would turn down the Transmit power to help get the wifi signal over lap under control and help with devices connecting to the RBS rather than the RBR. I'd start with 25% first and see how it goes. 

@indianking wrote:
Thanks for the response. My current apartment is a bit more than 2200 sqft and I have a router plus 2 satellites. Many walls though :-). So just one satellite won't work. I used the orbi app to detect signal strength from the router before placing the satellites. I have good wifi coverage but it is too sticky when moving between satellites. So was thinking of reducing transmit power to see if the switching of roaming devices can be seamless. Hence the question to experts in the community .

Message 8 of 9
indianking
Guide

Thanks a ton for the suggestion..I just changed it to 50%. Need to watch stability of the system and the reliability of the switching. I also need to test if the network throughput is compromised.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7