Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK23 - problem renaming attached devices

Richj44
Tutor

RBK23 - problem renaming attached devices

Hi all, just finished setting up my new RBK23 system and everything seems to be working great with the exception that I can't seem to successfully rename any of the attached devices.  I'm on the latest firmware, v2.3.5.26.  Whether using the App or the GUI interface, I can edit a device name and type to the correct settings but it refuses to save the changes after hitting Apply (or Save if using the app).  For example, in the Web gui, my Chromecast device shows under Attached Devices as a Linux PC.  If I click on it, I can choose Media Device as the Device Type from the dropdown, and type in Media Device in the Device Model box, then hit "Apply", and it takes me back to the Attached Devices screen, where nothing has changed.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Am I missing something obvious?

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK23 - problem renaming attached devices

What browser are you using? Does this happen in IE11, Firefox or Opera?

Be sure to clear all browser caches before entering into the RBRs web page.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@Richj44 wrote:

Hi all, just finished setting up my new RBK23 system and everything seems to be working great with the exception that I can't seem to successfully rename any of the attached devices.  I'm on the latest firmware, v2.3.5.26.  Whether using the App or the GUI interface, I can edit a device name and type to the correct settings but it refuses to save the changes after hitting Apply (or Save if using the app).  For example, in the Web gui, my Chromecast device shows under Attached Devices as a Linux PC.  If I click on it, I can choose Media Device as the Device Type from the dropdown, and type in Media Device in the Device Model box, then hit "Apply", and it takes me back to the Attached Devices screen, where nothing has changed.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Am I missing something obvious?

Message 2 of 6
Richj44
Tutor

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.  It happens using MS Edge, Chrome, and the Orbi App.  I haven't tried Firefox or IE 11, seems like a waste of time considering the App's behavior is identical.  Also I went back and cleared the browser cache with no change. 

This is a brand new setup.  The first thing I did after getting the satellites recognized was update all firmware to the latest, then set up the rest of my network, so the answer to your question "Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?"  would be no, I guess.  I'm really not interested in trying a factory reset due to the time involved.  I had no real difficulty setting up the Orbi network itself, but even though I reused the SSID and password from the prior router, most of the 25 or so connected devices in my home had to be deleted from Google Home (and their various individual manufacturer's apps) and re-added, in order for them to work again. Overall I spent several hours getting things back to "normal", and I'm willing to live with not being able to rename my devices rather than invest those hours all over again after doing a factory reset.

But I'd rather the app and/or Web GUI work properly and allow me to rename the devices without jumping through those hoops.  Oh well.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Richj44 wrote:

it takes me back to the Attached Devices screen, where nothing has changed.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Am I missing something obvious?

When I do this (on my Orbi RBR50, so it is not exactly the same), I  notice that at first the Attached Devices display has not changed, but after a few seconds, it eventually does change to what I typed in and "Applied".  Building the web page appears to be pulling entries out of tables and the process that updates the tables may not finish before the web page gets updated.

In your case, after making a change to device name, device type, or device model and clicking "Apply", the Attached Devices display never shows the new entries?

Message 4 of 6
Richj44
Tutor

If I make the changes in the Web GUI and hit "Apply", I get the spinning donut for a few seconds and then it takes me back to the Attached Devices screen.  The change(s) made do not reflect at all upon returning to this screen.  

If I use the App to make the changes under Device Manager - Devices - click on individual device - choose "Edit" - make appropriate changes - click on Save - click on Save again - Then it shows the changes made.  If I hit the back arrow to go back to the Devices screen that shows all the devices, the changes appear there as well.  So far so good.  However, once I leave the Device Manager screen, or close the app, when I go back the changes are lost and everything is back as it was before I began.  

I should mention, I can successfully change the NAME of the device either in the GUI or in the APP.  I cannot change the device type in either one though, so everything shows up as a computer, or "Network", or whatever the app or GUI thinks is appropriate.  This isn't a deal killer for me, but I like things to work as they should, and either it isn't, or I'm an idiot.  Which is entirely possible and I never rule it out completely, but I don't see where I'm going wrong in this case.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset maybe need then setup from scratch. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7