Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK40 inexplicable boot behaviour with ethernet

rdun72
Aspirant

RBK40 inexplicable boot behaviour with ethernet

Hi,

My setup is working well but I can’t explain a couple of things…

BT HomeHub routing, RBR40 (AP) and an RBS40 connected directly to the HH via ethernet i.e. star with HH at centre, not daisy chain. Ethernet backhaul and mesh coverage is great across my property. However;

1. If I connect the HH to the RBR via the RBR’s WAN port and power cycle the system the RBS isn’t seen as a satellite by the RBR (although it is seen as a connected ethernet device). If I connect the HH to the RBR’s LAN port and boot everything syncs fine except the RBR has the magenta indicator lit. Satellite sync shows as ok on web interface and everything seems to work ok.

2. If I boot with HH connected to RBR WAN port, let everything settle and then switch the RBS ethernet connection to the RBR (i.e. live switch to daisy) everything syncs itself up fine (no magenta on RBR). I can then disconnect the RBS from the RBR and reconnect it to HH (i.e. live switch back to star) and everything works just fine. Until the next power cycle.

It all seems to work good and I don’t much care about the magenta indicator on the RBR but I’m keen to understand what’s going on behind the scenes. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Richard

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK40 inexplicable boot behaviour with ethernet

The RBS needs to be connected to the RBR directly, not thru the HH ISP modem/router.

Message 2 of 4
rdun72
Aspirant

Seems to work ok if I use the LAN port. Also the Ethernet bachaulbpage shows a star as a supported config. Reading around a bit more it looks like I should connect to the LAN port. But that leaves the question of why the magenta light?

As I say everything works great....
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you have to use the LAN port between the Orbi router and satelilte.

After getting the Satellite connected, try a reboot or power cycle the satellite and see what happens? Should turn BLUE.

How far away is the satellite from the router? Could be some interferences maybe from neighboring wifi.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7