Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 5ghz Speed Lower Than Expected

Keanwo
Follower

RBK50 5ghz Speed Lower Than Expected

Hi,

I've just set up my RBK50 (2 pack) system and the speeds don't seem to be adequate on the 5ghz channel. In the advanced settings I can see that the 5ghz channel says up to 866.7 Mbps, but am only able to get around 300Mbps download with a gigabit fiber connection speed from my ISP. If it helps, I get 907Mbps with the built in speed testing system between the ISP and the router and 816Mbps on the ethernet connected PC. The problem is that I'm only able to get a maximum of 300Mbps on my mobile devices when connected to the 5ghz channel within 2ft of the router, and with near 0 interference from other devices. Any help is much appreciated!

Current Settings:

Orbi Hardware Version: RBR50, and RBS50
Firmware Version V2.7.3.22 on both
Operation Mode: Router and Satellite
Region North America
2.4G Channel 1
2.4G Mode Up to 400 Mbps
5G Channel 48
5G Mode Up to 866.7 Mbps

Advanced settings:
Enable Beamforming
Enable Fast Roaming
Preamble mode: Auto
20/40 coexistence mode on 2.4 GHz is disabled
Daisy Chain Topology is disabled

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
krlesch
Star

I hope that this helps - I found a website that explains "what to expect" from various devices when connected to a gigabit connection.

Go to https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/6250056#zippy=%2Cmobile-devices-wi-fi and expand the three (3) sections:

1) Mobile devices (Wi-Fi)

2) Computers (Wi-Fi)

3) Computers (Ethernet or USB adapter to Ethernet)

I understand that the website is for Google Fiber, but the information it provides is useful regardless of ISP.

Specifically under the "MOBILE DEVICES (Wi-Fi)" section you will see that the most that you will get from a mobile device using 802.11ac is around 390Mbps.  So what you are describing is your Orbi providing the speed it is designed to provide.  Hope that this helps set expectations.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A coule things. 

1. link speed isn't the same as actual throughput. Actual throughput tends to be 55-65% of what link speed is. 

2. what device are you testing on? A 1x1 device will have half the speed of a device with a 2x2 antenna

Message 2 of 5
krlesch
Star

I hope that this helps - I found a website that explains "what to expect" from various devices when connected to a gigabit connection.

Go to https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/6250056#zippy=%2Cmobile-devices-wi-fi and expand the three (3) sections:

1) Mobile devices (Wi-Fi)

2) Computers (Wi-Fi)

3) Computers (Ethernet or USB adapter to Ethernet)

I understand that the website is for Google Fiber, but the information it provides is useful regardless of ISP.

Specifically under the "MOBILE DEVICES (Wi-Fi)" section you will see that the most that you will get from a mobile device using 802.11ac is around 390Mbps.  So what you are describing is your Orbi providing the speed it is designed to provide.  Hope that this helps set expectations.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Nice and all however it doesn't include references to 2x2 and 4x4 antenna support factor which IF a devices as 4x4 antennas, it's it very possible to get near 900mpbs or over on WiFi6 AX mode. Also it's possible to see near 900Mpbs on 5Ghz AC if 160Mhz channel with is supported on some devices. https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 4 of 5
krlesch
Star

Well since the OP has a RBK50 discussing WiFi6 AX mode and the use of 160Mhz channel is moot - wouldn't you agree?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7