Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 - Devices not connecting to closest Satellite

fteng12
Aspirant

RBK50 - Devices not connecting to closest Satellite

I set up a new RBK50 system with 2 included satellites.  I also added one RBS20 satellite to the system.  In looking at the each Satellite, devices are not connecting to the closet Satellite causing slow downs on those devices, such as laptops and Apple TVs.  Also, no devices are connecting to the RBS20 satellite at all, even though I can see it connected on the network and there are devices that are closer to it ("other side" of the router and other Satellites).

The network map is showing that the router is connected to one satellite (RBS50)  and the other two satellites (RBS50 and RBS20) are connecting via the first satellite.  This is also odd as all three satellites are about the same distance from the router, with the RBS20 satellite being the closest to the router.  Maybe it's because the RBS50 satellites have stronger/bigger antennas?

Any advice?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

I have this problem when adding a mesh system to an existing network. Devices connect to a further away satellite or router. 5GHZ devices connect at 2.4GHZ. Usually rebooting items like televisions, stereos, cameras, etc fixes this. Also, go to the devices in question, forget the network and relogin to your desired WIFI network. You should see the devices connect to the proper satellite or router and at the proper speed.

Message 2 of 8
fteng12
Aspirant

Thanks for responding.  I tried your suggestion and powered off my laptop and back on.  I also choose to forget the network and accessed it via password again and it is still not connecting to the closest satellite.

If there are any other suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Message 3 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

How far apart are you satellites? The recomended distance is 30ft+. Also other things come into play, even though you say they are all abouyt the same distance apart. Interference, walls, etc can make one satellite stronger than the other. The RBS50s are stronger than the RBS20. You may want to move that one further away, since the RBR50s also have a faster wireless backhaul.

The only other thing I would do, if nothing else helped, is start from scratch and reset the Orbi router and satellites. Then configure the router and follow 1 by one with each satellite, moving them to their desired location, before setting up the next satellite. 

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@fteng12 wrote:

Thanks for responding.  I tried your suggestion and powered off my laptop and back on.  I also choose to forget the network and accessed it via password again and it is still not connecting to the closest satellite.

Since it is a laptop, can you try "forget" the Orbi WiFi. Power off.

Move to the same room, very close to the satellite you want.

Power up, enter password and connect.

Once it has "learned" a WiFi access point, it may be reluctant to change.

Message 5 of 8
fteng12
Aspirant

So that is another issue.  On the Orbi app, the network map shows that the router is connecting to Satellite 1 (RBS50).  Then Satellite 2 (RBS50) and Satellite 3 (RBS20) are connecting via Satellite 1.  Satellite 1 has a green dot indicator light showing a "strong" connection.  But the other two satellites are showing yellow indicator dots, showing only a "good" connection.  But the other two satellites are actually closer to the main router.  So I'm not sure why they are choosing to connect via the Satellite that is physically further away except that it seems to have the strongest connection.  There are no walls in between any of them.  Satellite 2 is on the other side of a small bookcase, so technically not direct line of sight, but not completely blocked.

I tried moving the other two routers further away, but that didn't change anything.  I'll try playing with the distance some more.

I saw another article that said to turn off Daisychain or turn on MIMO, etc.  Should I try that, or is a reset the best course?  I see that you responded to my other issue about the third mystery network "Orbi50", so maybe a reset will solve both problems.  

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Turning off Daisy Chain will force all satellites to connect directly to the router.
Message 7 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@fteng12 wrote:

So that is another issue.  On the Orbi app, the network map shows that the router is connecting to Satellite 1 (RBS50).  Then Satellite 2 (RBS50) and Satellite 3 (RBS20) are connecting via Satellite 1.  Satellite 1 has a green dot indicator light showing a "strong" connection.  But the other two satellites are showing yellow indicator dots, showing only a "good" connection.  But the other two satellites are actually closer to the main router.  So I'm not sure why they are choosing to connect via the Satellite that is physically further away except that it seems to have the strongest connection.  There are no walls in between any of them.  Satellite 2 is on the other side of a small bookcase, so technically not direct line of sight, but not completely blocked.

Try turning off Satellite 1 temporarily and see if the other 2 satellites connect to the RBR50 router. I just installed a system and had a similar problem where satellites were jumping across other satellites to get to the router. They were in a straight line in an office (router - satellite - satellite - satellite). I ended up having to let each satellite settle in a bit, by waiting 15 minutes or so before turning on the next satellite. Once I did that, having daisy chaining on because of all wireless backhaul, they all connected the way I wanted, (router to sat 1 to sat 2 to sat 3. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7