Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 Speed Throttling Wired and Wireless

MattHooligan
Tutor

RBK50 Speed Throttling Wired and Wireless

I'm having issues with my new Orbi severely throttling everything going through it, whether it be wired or wireless. I consistently am getting speeds from the Orbi, both wired and wirelessly, at approximately 40-50MBPS down. If I plug in a device directly to my ATT Gateway, I consistently get 650+MPBS down.

This is a brand new RBK50 that I'm pairing with ATT Gigabit Internet (Pace 5268AC).

Here's the process I followed on setup:

1. Factory reset both the Gateway and router
  2. Disabled all Wi-Fi on Gateway
  3. Moved DHCP to 172.16.0.0 on the Gateway
  4. Plugged in and setup the Orbi and Satellite via the mobile app
  5. Left the Orbi in Router mode since I want to use it as the router
  6. Setup the Orbi for DMZ Plus in the Gateway
  7. Rebooted everything

After doing all of this, and I've gone through the above process 3-4 times, I continue to get 40-50MBDS down with the Orbi.

I have the 2.2.1.210 firmware on the router and satellite.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's frustrating to put the Orbi in front of the Gateway and go from 650+ down, to 40 down. If it helps, since factory resetting (via the UI and with a pin), I have not done a speedtest in the UI, so I don't believe any QoS repercussions are in place.

Cheers,

Matt

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
MattHooligan
Tutor

Solved. I called ATT tonight and they pushed an update through my Gateway that allows router usage through all 4 ports on the Gateway. After this was done, my wired speeds went to around 600, and my wireless speeds went up to around 400.

Cheers,

Matt

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried option 3? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Others have posted having problems with Orbi and this particular modem...

Message 2 of 10
MattHooligan
Tutor

Yep - I've tried #3 and it works, but then I lose all of the Router capabilities that the Orbi offers. This particular model of Gateway (Pace 5268AC) doesn't have bridge mode - they recommend DMZPlus as the only option.

Cheers.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume there is a problem between the Modem and Orbi router. Even in DMZplus, sounds like its still being throttled. 

Any chance your ISP supports a modem only unit on there services? 

AP mode seem to be the best option. You would have to contact NG and I would contact the mfr of the modem as well and let both parties know that there is a problem between these two units. Short term, you can wait for next FW update. Not sure when that will be. 

@Blanca_O

Message 4 of 10
MattHooligan
Tutor

Solved. I called ATT tonight and they pushed an update through my Gateway that allows router usage through all 4 ports on the Gateway. After this was done, my wired speeds went to around 600, and my wireless speeds went up to around 400.

Cheers,

Matt

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad they fixed it. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@MattHooligan wrote:

Cheers,

Matt

Message 6 of 10
MattHooligan
Tutor

FYI - I spoke too soon. The push from ATT caused the Gateway to reboot, which temporarily increased speeds, but it dropped back to the 50MB down limit soon after and stayed there. Upon further research, it looks like a recent firmware update on the 5268AC may be causing this, as other routers are experiencing the same issue. In the interim, I've gone ahead and set the Orbi to AP mode so that speeds aren't limited.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you talk to them about this? Can they do anything with the modem like they did before or it's just hosed with this new FW update? 

Message 8 of 10
MattHooligan
Tutor

I haven't spoken with them again. When I googled 5268AC DMZPlus slow, I got a ton of results over the last month. I'm going to run with AP mode and check up on it again in a month or two.

Cheers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=5268ac+dmzplus+slow&safe=active&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS821US822&source=lnt&...

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Seems like Pace needs to review there FW and operation with external routers. 

Enjoy for now. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7