Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 password reset

SilverWinterSky
Aspirant

RBK50 password reset

I've lost (my fault, very careless) the password for my RBK50. The reset process via serial number etc is asking me security questions that I cannot answer. I am 100% positive that they are not "my" security questions. The only possible explanation I can come up with is that my RBK50 wasn't totally new when I received it - ie a previous owner had set up security questions that had not been properly erased before the unit was sent to me. Sounds unlikely, but I see no other potential explanations.

So - with neither the router password nor the answers to the required security questions, is there anything I can do? Or is my whole Orbi system (I have three RBS50's as well, large house) effectively bricked?

Message 1 of 3
H8Netg34r
Aspirant

Re: RBK50 password reset

Happens here as well. I changed the password a few days ago, but did not set security questions during the process. Before this I had some security questions in place, but they are not the ones I am now being asked.

The longer story is I downgraded firmware on RBR50 to allow for flashing of Voxel custom firmware. The Voxel firmware was fast and worked ok, but I was unable to flash it to three satelites I have running, probably because I had not downgraded firmware on them first. I took the router back to stock Orbi firmware and updated to latest version for now. This was when the password was changed.

Now the password to the router login is no longer working, and recovery is impossible as I skipped security questions when setting up the router. It seems like a factory reset is the only option, which is annoying.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK50 password reset

@SilverWinterSky wrote:

So - with neither the router password nor the answers to the required security questions, is there anything I can do? Or is my whole Orbi system (I have three RBS50's as well, large house) effectively bricked?

No, the unit is not 'bricked'.  Unbend a paperclip and perform a Factory Reset on the router:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

At this point, the Orbi has erased all user settings and is ready to be set up from scratch.

The WiFi SSID and password will match what is printed on the product label (bottom).

The administrative credentials will be "admin" and "password".

Connect a computer to the Orbi router (we old timers prefer a hard wired ethernet connection, because it avoids having to connect to WiFi over and over).  Point a web browser at http://orbilogin.net.

During the setup process, enter a new admin password and select two security questions.

In my case, I always give a new WiFi router exactly the same SSID/password as the one being replaced so that all of my devices will connect automatically without any reconfiguration. This also allows me to "go back" to the previous WiFi router if am not happy with the new one.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7