Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50

falcon6actual
Follower

RBK50

Will the RBK50 system work with Spectrum gig internet or do I have to upgrade my system

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK50

@falcon6actual wrote:

Will the RBK50 system work with Spectrum gig internet or do I have to upgrade my system

"Work with" is in the eye of the beholder.  Yes, it certainly is compatible and will function.  There are plenty of posts in the forum complaining that people do not achieve "full gigabit" through the Orbi.  WiFi5 is incapable of that speed. If you have WiFi6 devices which can take advantage of a gigabit connection and require that much throughput, then you may want to look at a WiFi6 system with "more processing power."  If you already have an Orbi, there is no "downside" to upgrading to gigabit service.

Every manufacturer is releasing WiFi6 products (Netgear has two separate product lines: Nighthawk WiFi6 and Orbi WiFi6).  My impression (opinion) is that these new products may not be "fully baked".  i.e. features may be missing or incomplete.  They also tend to cost a LOT more than WiFi5 products. I suggest reading through the user forums for the Orbi AX and the Nighthawk WiFi6 products, as well as the forums from some of the other manufacturers.  I remember thinking, "Oh, Velop now has WiFi 6" and started browing their forum.  Was taken aback by the venom and vitriol, "When they get the &$^$* worked out of the current product, I'll look a their new stuff."  Things like that.

All of us are acutely aware of the shortcomings of the product we use every day, and may be seriously ignorant about other products.

Message 2 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@falcon6actual wrote:

Does spectrum require you to use their gear like a modem/router combo?

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

I have Spectrum.  Being a "cable system", there must be a DOCSIS compatible modem. Spectrum provides one to me because I am one of the three customers who still keep a "land line" (although it is now VoIP through Spectrum).  There is a long list of compatible modems on the Spectrum web site.  The "break even" on purchasing your own cable modem vs. leasing it from Spectrum is under two years, so many (many) customers purchase their own - and are 100% responsible for it if it ever malfunctions.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7