Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK53 Doesn't restart after firmware update

DLSF
Aspirant

RBK53 Doesn't restart after firmware update

I initiated latest firmware update last night.  The router seemed to have difficulty restarting after but eventually did.  However, this morning the SSID wasn't broadcasting.  Tried power off/on more than once and each time the white LED just pulses.  Also tried reseting to factory; power LED blinked amber as advertised, but it still acts the same after powering on and the preset SSID isn't broadcast.  Note that the router has gone through several firmware updates successfully.  This is my second Orbi.  Had the same problem with the first one as it stopped working after the first firmware update so i returned it and got a replacement.  Any ideas/guidance? 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RBK53 Doesn't restart after firmware update

What firmware are now using?    

Message 2 of 8
DLSF
Aspirant

I don't know and I can't access the router to find out.  I even tried an ethernet connection but no luck.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

here's the order I'd try to fix it in.

1. Hard reset. While its powered up, hold the reset button until the lights change. If it doesn't work, go to the next step. 

2. Tftp procedure. This allows you to relace the firmware on the router. I'll link to the procedure. Make sure to follow it closely. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

You'll also need to enable tftp from within windows (if you use windows). 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

Tftp has worked well for me to recover from these issues. One thing to make sure you do in the future is to manually do the firmware updates over a hardwired connection. I've had the best results going this route. 

Message 4 of 8
DLSF
Aspirant

Thanks for the information.  I didn't get very far as I don't have adminstrator control over the computer I tried to use so I couldn't make configuration changes required for the transfer.  I've only had the system 3 months and decided I shouldn't be going through the hassle anyway.  After 3 calls to their support team Netgear agreed that the system is defective and is providing a replacement.  My concern is that it'll happen again since this is the second unit that failed.  thanks again

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

From OP:

I initiated latest firmware update last night. 

That's too bad....It's hard to believe how a firmware update broke your Orbi.  Was it working before?

Message 6 of 8
DLSF
Aspirant

Yes, it was working fine for 3 months.

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Just a couple of closing comments....the lack of admin control on the PC...??  Not sure what that means.  Sounds like a separate issue.

If NG has agreed to send replacement(s), that a good thing.  My advice is once your new system is up and running, leave it alone.  DO NOT execute manual firmware updates.  NG will push them to you when you need them. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7