Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK53S Dual channels

kmitch1001
Aspirant

RBK53S Dual channels

I just got the Orbi RBK53S. When I was using my AT&T cable/modem for wifi, I had one connection for 2.4Ghz and a second connection for 5.0Ghz. Each channel had its own name and I could select either one on my computer/phone/table/etc. Now that I'm using the Orbi as my router I only seem to have one wifi channel to choose from. How does this affect the service depending on whether I'm using devices that are capable of only using 2.4 or other devices that can use both?

Thank you.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK53S Dual channels

@kmitch1001 wrote:

How does this affect the service depending on whether I'm using devices that are capable of only using 2.4 or other devices that can use both?

As long as devices can connect and the aggregate demand is not more than the WiFi/internet connection is capable of providing, having a single SSID will not affect service.  Devices that are capable only of 2.4G connections will connect to the Orbi at 2.4G.  They cannot do anything else.  Devices capable of both 2.4G and 5G will negotiate with the Orbi and the device will select whichever channel it prefers.

Message 2 of 3
kmitch1001
Aspirant

Re: RBK53S Dual channels

Thanks so much. Makes a lot of sense.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements