Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 20 FW 2.7.3.22 wired satellites unstable connections

Bighdad
Aspirant

RBR 20 FW 2.7.3.22 wired satellites unstable connections

Can’t seem to log a support ticket but have been reading these community posts in frustration.

Kids’ school computers and our mobile devices lost internet connection. Logged direct into router, wired from PC; good internet connection, indicated FW 2.7.3.22 was ready for install having downloaded it. Updated firmware, no better connection. Rolled all 3 hardware devices back to .104 - good connections again for several days then it auto updated all 3 boxes - same problem again. Surely NG have a better solution than just bricking $500 AUD routers just over 1 year old?? Have used NG messenger service and been told it will be a “endorsed” …. crickets since. I know there are others posting similar … has there been a solution yet?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR 20 FW 2.7.3.22 wired satellites unstable connections

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Are the RBS directly connected to the RBR when ethernet connected or is there a LAN switch in between? 

Message 2 of 8
Bighdad
Aspirant

Thanks for reply yes factory reset on all 3 boxes since, like the first time around, no improvement. Yes there is a Cisco switch same as at install last year and working well with that older FW. Of note wireless device connection next to the RBR fails also.
Message 3 of 8
Bighdad
Aspirant

Update - Factory reset enables wireless connections to rbr. Trying the satellites. Wireless backhaul never worked before due to cavity brick concrete floors etc hence wired sat setup
Message 4 of 8
Bighdad
Aspirant

With only the addition of the unmanaged Cisco switch the RBR stops connecting to wireless. I’m curious did you know this would be an issue with latest firmware? Why are they tanking a one port router for wired connections??
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

When the RBS are ethernet connected to the RBR, switch or not, RBS will not connect to the RBR via wireless...This is default behavior in any version of FW. 

Message 6 of 8
Bighdad
Aspirant

Apologies could have sworn I answered this. I understand that the wired/wireless is mutually exclusive I was meaning that wireless devices such as iPhone wouldn’t connect to rbr when it was wired to satellites on new FW.

Cisco Small Business SR216 listed under unmanaged devices on their website. Working fine on old FW, tested with FW rollback.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

One issue I see with that switch is that it's NOT 1000Mpbs rated. Only 100Mpbs. Though may have worked on prior version of FW, however could be something that new FW doesn't like as well. Also that switch is retired and EoL per Ciscos site. Your limiting the wired backhaul between the RBR and RBS to 100Mbps instead of 1000Mpbs. Wireless backhaul is 1733Mpbs. 

I've not seen any unstable connection problems with v22 on my RBK50 and ethernet connected RBS50. However I use 1000Mpbs switches here. NG-GS105/108.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK50-53-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2120708/high...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK50-53-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2115078/high...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7