× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR 50 compatible with Virgin 1gbp connection / Superhub 4 or 5?

faizankhan85
Aspirant

RBR 50 compatible with Virgin 1gbp connection / Superhub 4 or 5?

Hello All

Currently I use by Orbi RBR50 with the Virgin Superhub 3.  However, I am looking to upgrade to the 1gbps package, which I believe comes with their Superhub 4 and/or 5.  

Are there any users on here who have the 1gbps package and use it sucessfully with either Superhub 4 or 5.  If so:

• how has your experience been?
  • are you getting near enough 1gbps speeds? 
  • do you notice any issues with orbi and Superhub 4 or 5 communciating with one another?

I hear the superhub 5 supports wifi 6 so does that mean I will also need to change my orbi system to one of the newer ones that supports wifi 6?

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Wireless AC isn't going to hit gigabit speeds over wireless. You should still be able to hit gigabit speeds over the wired connection though.

Message 2 of 4
faizankhan85
Aspirant

Thanks - but i would assume at least 5-600mbps right?

have you tried it with the superhub 4 or 5?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I don't have a superhub at all. 

But expect more realistic speeds of around 400mbps if at close range. Lower with distance interference. Heres a well written review that tests it. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33028-netgear-orbi-reviewed

Orbi was the top performer for AC mesh systems so if you're needing faster wireless speeds, you'd need to upgrade to AX. But most people don't need faster wireless as most things wireless (streaming, gaming, etc) don't use a ton of bandwidth. For example, 4k streaming only takes 25-40mbps streaming. Gaming is even less. Its only if you're really doing data intensive tasks (system backups, etc) that you need more bandwidth. Plus its usually not the router that's even the bottleneck but the device you're testing on. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7