Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR10 Orbi AC1200 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System (4-pack)- Wifi Speed HALF of the Wired SPEED

Aspirant

RBR10 Orbi AC1200 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System (4-pack)- Wifi Speed HALF of the Wired SPEED

Just freqaking bought this WIFI Mesh system.

The Wifi SPEED is HALF of the Wired Speed even standing within 5 feet of the main router.

Why is this?

I upgraded the FW to the latest one also.

AND this furum does not even Freaking recognize the RBR10 or RBK14 for Orbi as a product...

What did I just get myself into??????

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR10 Orbi AC1200 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System (4-pack)- Wifi Speed HALF of the Wired SPEED

More information would be useful, such as what speeds are being measured and how.

A "wired" connection is capable of much higher speeds than a WiFi connection.  That's just a "fact of life".

WiFi connection speed depends a lot on which device is being used to measure it.

My guess is that whoever on the Netgear web team is responsible for updating the list of products on the community forum may be distracted by "impending doom" right now.  Probably not the highest thing on anyone's priority list.

Message 2 of 4
Aspirant

Re: RBR10 Orbi AC1200 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System (4-pack)- Wifi Speed HALF of the Wired SPEED

Hi !

I have no idea what your credentials are, but I am kind of a Network engineer.

I needed the mesh as the ASUS RT-AC3200 I had went bad and I replaced it with a Synology, but that could not cover the whole house.

I do agree that the speeds on Wifi are not the same as Wired connections but it is NOT that much slow, half the speed on Wired.

On ASUS, I had

Wired: 350 MBps

Wireless: 325 MBps

On Synology:

Wired: 350

Wifi: 315

On this Netgear Orbi

Wifi: 140

That is NOT acceptable.

This is what I am talking about.

This is NOT normal. As far as this forum and whoever is handling this, this is Netgear, right, not a small company, not a new company, so it does not make sense. It appears amateurish and that's not what is expected of a Company like Netgear.

So now, I need a resolution to this HALF speed issue. I found some hacks for this issue, but I just got this Orbi yesterday, I am not going to hack this yet. Please suggest what the issue is and what can be done to fix this.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@919263 wrote:

On this Netgear Orbi

Wifi: 140

That is NOT acceptable.

This is what I am talking about.

This is NOT normal. As far as this forum and whoever is handling this, this is Netgear, right, not a small company, not a new company, so it does not make sense. It appears amateurish and that's not what is expected of a Company like Netgear.

I agree entirely.  I would take it back.  You appear to be under a (common) misunderstanding about this community forum.  None of us are Netgear engineers, or even random Netgear employees.  In my case, I bought an Orbi and after a year had a question about, "Why is it doing this?"  Being too cheap to pay to talk to Netgear, I came to the forum and some really smart people helped me.  So, I stayed around.

My guess is the Netgear engineers have no place on their time cards to spend browsing the dozens of community forums looking for a question they could answer.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7