Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 Ethernet Unidentified Network

Fryy
Aspirant

RBR20 Ethernet Unidentified Network

Hi

Have plugged in an ethernet cable into the Router and am getting an Unidentified Network.

Tried all the regular troubleshooting.

Looks like maybe the DHCP isn't working on the router?

In the router settings it is showing it is connected, connection type is wired but for some reason has a wierd IP address 169.254.202.88 and not the regular 192.168.1.### which all the WIFI devices connect to the router / satellite.

Capture1.JPG

Tried an ipconfig /release and /renew -

C:\Users\Fry>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 2 while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 4 while it has its media disconnected.

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::35d4:6f61:a9d:ca58%4
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.202.88
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Unknown adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 4:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e15d:dae8:f006:ee6a%19
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::2a80:88ff:feeb:1e9e%19

Any help much appreciated!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: RBR20 Ethernet Unidentified Network

Typical reason for the DHCP server not assigning an IP address is either security or the DHCP pool is full (no or IP addresses available, or all IP addresses reserved to some defined MAC addresses). 

Have an eye on the ADVANCED > Security > Access Control settings, like Block all new devices from connecting. With this setting, if you buy a new device, before it can access your network, you must enter its MAC address for an Ethernet connection and its MAC address for a WiFi connection in the allowed list. Then look here View list of blocked devices not currently connected to the network

On the DHCP, it's unlikely the DHCP server is disabled, as your wireless devices get addresses assigned. On the LAN settings, check the DHCP Server Start and End IP addresses - if this range is to small there are no free IP addresses to be assigned.

Modern computers automatically fall-back to ZeroConfig (169.254.x.x/16) addresses if a network link (Ethernet or WiFi) is up, no static IP is configured, and no IP config is assigned by DHCP. Nothing odd at this point at least.

Message 2 of 6
Fryy
Aspirant

Thx for the reply. Had already checked a few of those things.

The DHCP pool isn't full, the router is ticked for "Use Router as DHCP Server" and starts from 192.168.1.2 and ends 192.168.1.254

Device isn't blocked, its status is allowed. New devices are allowed to connect.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

My take is there is something wrong with the ethernet driver in the PC. The WiFi adapter did get an IP address using DHCP. That indicates that the Orbi DHCP process is working.  The PC may think it has sent a DHCP request, but has not actually done so.

It might be worth reloading the ethernet driver.

My own approach would be to use Wireshark to capture traffic through the ethernet connection and display the dhcp packets.

Message 4 of 6
Fryy
Aspirant

Never used Wireshark. Im decent at troubleshooting PC problems but nowhere near an expert.

It might not be worth it anyways as its probably not that - I installed a new PCIE NIC and tried that. Exactly the same issue as the mobo network -

Capture2.JPG

Even tried setting my TCP/IPv4 manually with -

IP 192.168.1.111   -  chose an address that wasn't assigned yet

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.1.1

DNS addresses I put in from my ISP.

That changes the IP in the router attached devices but still in Windows it gives me an Unidentified Network.

Capture3.JPG

Message 5 of 6
Fryy
Aspirant

Tried multiple network cables.

For all of them it looks like packets are being sent but none are being received. Sent packets keeps going up, Received never moves from 0.

Capture4.JPG

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7