Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 Wi-Fi does not show up on Blink Sync Module

BgeeOz
Aspirant

RBR20 Wi-Fi does not show up on Blink Sync Module

Orbi Wi-Fi not showing up when trying to connect Blink Camera Sync Module. Blink is looking for a 2.5mhz Wi-Fi signal.
Cannot find any settings to change Orbi configuration.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR20 Wi-Fi does not show up on Blink Sync Module

@BgeeOz wrote:
Orbi Wi-Fi not showing up when trying to connect Blink Camera Sync Module. Blink is looking for a 2.5mhz Wi-Fi signal.
Cannot find any settings to change Orbi configuration.

Typo: WiFi signals are either 2.4GHz or 5GHz, not 2.5mhz.  The Blink module setup gives advice on what to do when the Blink WiFi does not appear: https://support.blinkforhome.com/en_us/blink-does-not-appear-in-my-device's-wifi-settings-rk_d4l7Lr 

This is the first time (in my memory) that Blink has appeared in the Orbi user forum.  The advice usually given when a smartphone application does not detect the device WiFi is to temporarily set the Orbi to "not broadcast SSID" on the 5GHz channel.  This is on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings. Then, tell the smartphone to "forget" the Orbi WiFi.  Scan for WiFi again, and the phone will get connected at 2.4G.  At that point, the Blink app should detect the Blink module WiFi.

Please let us know how this works out for you.  There is little doubt that more Orbi owners will want to connect Blink cameras in the future and your experience will be helpful to them.

Message 2 of 4
BgeeOz
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. 

Just to be clear, when setting up the Blink Sync Module, the app connects the smartphone to the modules internal wifi signal after identifying the modules serial number.  The module then displays a list of wifi signals visable to the module.  You click on your wifi channel, and enter the passsword, so the module can than connect to your wifi router.  In my case when setting up the ORBI, there were no wifi signals displayed by the module.  So I could not connect to the ORBI.  I do know there was a wifi signal available, as I had at least 9 other devices connect to the ORBI.

The fix was similar to your writeup.  I had to access the ORBI admin page (10.0.0.1, orbilogin.com or orbilogin.net).  Went to Advanced Tab / Setup / Wireless Setup.  I then changed the 2.5ghz channel from Auto to Channel 11 (pick your favorite), and saved. After that, the ORBI wifi channel appeared on the Blink Sync Module wifi selection menu.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Wow, that's interesting.  Would be fascinating to know what channel the Orbi WiFi was on.  The reason I ask is that some countries allow WiFi to use all channels (1-14) whereas other countries (including the US) restrict WiFi to channels 1-11. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7