Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 devices connecting to 2.4 GHz

guycarmin
Aspirant

RBR20 devices connecting to 2.4 GHz

Hi,

I have the Orbi RBR20.

I've connected it and configure - now I see that all of my devices (Window Laptop, Linux Laptop and several Galaxies (S7-->S8+) are all connecting initially to the 5Ghz and then moving to 2.4Ghz. 

I've seen that also whit my laptop and cell-hone while siting 2m from the router (the main).

Please advice,

Guy

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR20 devices connecting to 2.4 GHz

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 8
guycarmin
Aspirant

Hi - Thanks for replying so fast 😉

Firmware V2.3.5.26

The hous is about 1,800 SQ/Fit on 3 flors.

The Router and (currentally) one Satellite which are phisically connected with CAT7 LAN, and are one floor up and about 10 fit aside.

I have one neibghour 2.4GH wifi but from wifi scanning it's not interfiring (from channles and strength perspective.

I've already enabled Beamforming, MIMO and WMM.

just disabling Daisy Chain, as I've already disabled all the rest.

The point is that all of my devices (2 laprtops, several Galaxy phones and 2 tablates) all connecting to 2.4Ghz.when connecting to the network - they are connecting to the 5Ghz, but then they (ALL) migrationg to the 2.4Ghz. It's happans even if I'm 2ft from the router. Also  - when I'm on the second flor I see another wifi with the same SSID with no password - and when I try to manually connect to it I'm getting the 5Ghz (but then the device goes back to the 2.4).

Thanks,

Guy

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

"The Router and (currentally) one Satellite which are phisically connected with CAT7 LAN, and are one floor up and about 10 fit aside" 10 feet? If so, then this is too close between the RBR and RBS. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 4 of 8
guycarmin
Aspirant

They are connected via LAN (1/10G ethernet cable).

It's a blok and concrete house.

the RBR is on ground floor where the RBS is on the secound floor. this is the elevation distances while the vertical distance would be about 10~15ft. so the total is about 30ft ?I would say.

Thanks,

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, block and concrete will be a a factor and maybe problematic as this would be effecting the 5Ghz signal which maybe one reason why your devices are reverting to 2.4Ghz...

Message 6 of 8
guycarmin
Aspirant

I suspected that as well - so I tested it when the RBR is just 1ft away from me without any obstacles...(I've just took him out and put him on the table near me...)

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I could swear that there was a post just this week about a similar problem and the user discovered that the Orbi was no longer broadcasting the 5G SSID.  On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless.  The check box for "Broadcast SSID" had come unchecked for the 5G network.

Then agaiin, my memory is a source of amusement at times.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7