Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 dropping internet

malibuskier
Follower

RBR20 dropping internet

Orbi is dropping internet connections (both wired and wireless) about every 2 hours since Monday. A restart fixes the issue but this is a pain. I did a factory reset yesterday but that hasn't helped. I'm on the latest firmware 2.6.2.104. I'm working from home and need to get this fixed.

Dave
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR20 dropping internet

@malibuskier wrote:
Orbi is dropping internet connections (both wired and wireless) about every 2 hours since Monday. A restart fixes the issue but this is a pain. I did a factory reset yesterday but that hasn't helped. I'm on the latest firmware 2.6.2.104. I'm working from home and need to get this fixed.

There is a monster problem going on this week with Orbi routers.  (Must be half a dozen LONG posts on the forum.)

Basically, the Orbi becomes unable to resolve Domain Names, which causes almost all activity to stop.

A program that is already connected to an internet resource will remain connected, but anything "new" will fail when it attempts to find which IP address to use for a particular Domain Name.

A quick test is to open a Command Window and type some commands, such as:

ping 1.1.1.1

ping 8.8.8.8

If these work, the Orbi still has an internet connection.

ping usc.edu

If this fails... then the Orbi is not resolving DNS names.

People have attempted at least 7-8 strategies to work around the problem

The most recent idea is to make sure that "Traffic Meter" is unchecked.

On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Menu item Traffic Meter.

Uncheck the box "Enable Traffic Meter" and click "Apply".

If that does not work (I am testing it now myself), there are a bunch of ideas in this post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-DNS-and-DHCP-and-NTP-Broken-Short-Term-Fix-Options/m-p/20... 

Message 2 of 3
BillYoung
Luminary

Re: RBR20 dropping internet

@malibuskier :

Your issues sound like the ones I had with my RBR50 which is on 2.7.2.104. To fix my connectivity issues, I had to do two things.

1.  Reboot both your Orbi and your modem for 1 minute.  Restart the modem first, then the Orbi router, then any satellites you may have.

2.  Change your NTP settings from the Netgear NTP server to time.nist.gov.

Doing both of these fixed my connectivity issues.

I hope that they will fix yours.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7