× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 won't stay connected after power failure

rslopez271
Aspirant

RBR20 won't stay connected after power failure

We recently had a SEVERE storm and a power failure. After regaining power, my RBR20 MESH system will connect but only stay connected for about 5 minutes then drops. I have my system routed through a transformer and UPS. I am connected to the internet via Starlink(SL). I connect my Orbi directly into the SL router. I did find out that my Ethernet jack for the SL router got toasted. I bought a new one and that's were I stand now. I wonder if there's a way to test my base RBR20 unit since maybe it got cooked or damaged at the same time. Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
rslopez271
Aspirant

Re: RBR20 won't stay connected after power failure

UPDATE: after coming close to giving up, I tried setting up Orbi's via my wife PC rather than my cell. There's an option to select setting up with an older cell so I tried that. We both have "current" cells but I tried the :older" option and it worked. I had deleted the app on my cell and reinstalled it prior but that didn't work. As it turned out we're back to normal and all is fine. Thanks to all that made suggestions, really appreciated your input.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@rslopez271 wrote:

I did find out that my Ethernet jack for the SL router got toasted. I bought a new one and that's were I stand now.

Star Link is a bit exotic. Can you please explain more about the Ethernet jack?  i.e. is this part of the Star Link router itself, or is it what connects the Star Link router to the antenna?

The first troubleshooting step is usually to verify that the Internet Service Provider (ISP) equipment functions correctly. Can you connect directly to the Star Link router and get stable internet access?

An Orbi system will function without a link to the internet.  (It's not particularly useful to most people because internet access is what they want, but it will create a Local Area Network [LAN] that functions.)  Does the Orbi broadcast the WiFi signal (SSID)?  Can devices connect to the WiFi and to the Ethernet ports?  If there are multiple devices connected, can they open the Orbi web interface? (http://orbilogin.net )  Do they get issued IP addresses and appear in the Orbi list of Attached Devices?  Can devices connect with other devices?  (such as ping their IP address?)

Could you give more detail about:

@rslopez271 wrote:

my RBR20 MESH system will connect but only stay connected for about 5 minutes then drops.

Is it the WiFi that drops, or the internet link?

Message 2 of 12
rslopez271
Aspirant

In the SL router is a slot to install an optional Ethernet "plug" that allows for 1 Ethernet connection. I connected my tv directly in the the jack and it works perfectly. My cell phone can connect to orbi and doesn't drop but any off my computers or my wife's cell connect for 5 minutes then drop.
Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

(I know this may seem obvious, but....) What "drops"?

• The WiFi connection?  The WiFi symbol disappears from the device and it reports "no network"?
  • or, the Internet?  The WiFi symbol remains, but the device reports "No Internet"?
  • Is anything connected to the Orbi with an Ethernet cable?
Message 4 of 12
rslopez271
Aspirant

The symbol, upside pyramid, stays on device but switches over to the SL router after 5 minutes and allows internet connection. It's almost like orbi's gets tired and passes out on the next available connection. I've tried resetting orbi and setup about 5 times with no different results. Do you know of a way to test the base unit to see if it's failing? I omitted 1 thing, the only device that stays connected is my pixel 6 pro. I'm conversing with you on that cell. I've turned everything on/off many times without luck. Prior to severe storm and power failure, all my devices worked perfectly.
Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

If the Pixel 6 is connected to the Orbi WiFi and has internet access, then it appears that the Orbi is working.

Message 6 of 12

@rslopez271 wrote:

We recently had a SEVERE storm and a power failure.

Storms are a very good way of wrecking electronic kit.  No surge detector or UPS can squelch voltage spikes from a lightning strike.

Message 7 of 12
rslopez271
Aspirant

I use both a transformer and UPS's for all my electronics but sometimes they don't always work. Cse in point is that my Ethernet adapter that plugs into the SL router died.

Message 8 of 12
rslopez271
Aspirant

So I've tried to setup a new system and I go thru the steps and once I connect it seems all is ok BUT the setup changes screens like it didn't connect and wants me to try again setup new system or connect via anywhere. The option that I'm connected is greyed out. The only device that has stayed connected in my cell which is where the Orbi app is located. It seems the 1st time I setup Orbis, 2 years ago, I was asked to a password on each device plus there was a guest option and neither of these appear.

Message 9 of 12
rslopez271
Aspirant

• The WiFi connection?  The WiFi symbol disappears from the device and it reports "no network"? No
  • or, the Internet?  The WiFi symbol remains, but the device reports "No Internet"? 
  • Connection to the internet drops and it just switches to my SL router as it's backup. Orbi's relies on SL for internet connection but somehow doesn't like any devices other than my cell.
  •  
  • Is anything connected to the Orbi with an Ethernet cable? I run the ribbon cable from Orbi's to the ethernet jack on SL router. (direct connect vice going thru a switch)
Message 10 of 12
rslopez271
Aspirant

Yes my Pixel works fine but somehow Orbi's doesn't like any of my other devices. I used to love my Orbi's but now it's become a challenge.

Message 11 of 12
rslopez271
Aspirant

UPDATE: after coming close to giving up, I tried setting up Orbi's via my wife PC rather than my cell. There's an option to select setting up with an older cell so I tried that. We both have "current" cells but I tried the :older" option and it worked. I had deleted the app on my cell and reinstalled it prior but that didn't work. As it turned out we're back to normal and all is fine. Thanks to all that made suggestions, really appreciated your input.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7