Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 says no internet, but appears to be connected

gossamer1
Aspirant

RBR40 says no internet, but appears to be connected

Hi, I have the RBR-40 (chose 50 because 40 wasn't available on the list) with two satellites.  Instead of connecting directly to our cable modem, I'm trying to connect to my Linux gateway configured to provide DHCP. I'm an experienced Linux user, but don't have experience with this wifi router. The RBR-40 gets an IP address, and it correctly assigns IPs to devices connected to it, but the main Orbi app still says "no internet". The satellites show they are green in the network map part of the app, but the RBR-40 itself shows red, as if it's not connected.

It appears that devices which connect to one of the two satellites can connect to the Internet okay, but those which connect to the RBR-40 directly do not connect to the Internet.

What could I be doing wrong? I've attached a screenshot of the network map.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR40 says no internet, but appears to be connected

This is a new wrinkle which may be interesting to others.  With the yellow (WAN) port connected to the Linux gateway, the router gets a DHCP address correctly.  So, the Linux gateway has two ethernet ports and is configured to pass traffic both ways?  In other words, connecting to this box is similar to connecting to a vendor modem/router?

Those red and green circles on the Orbi "app" are somewhat of a mystery to me.  My guess is that a statellite being "green" simply means that it has a good link with the base station (router) and does not indicate anything about internet status.

I am much more comfortable looking at the Orbi web interface than the "app".  Connect a web browser to the IP of the Orbi router.  The user name is always "admin" and the password was originally "password", but you may have changed it during the setup.

I would look to see what the web interface says about the internet connection.  Things like gateway, DNS, subnet mask, NTP server, etc.

Message 2 of 3
gossamer1
Aspirant

Re: RBR40 says no internet, but appears to be connected

It does look like it was a problem with the app. I went through the config again and it appears to now show it's fully connected.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7