× NETGEAR would like to hear from you about specific features so we can improve your experience. To participate in this survey please click HERE.

RBR50, Draining mobile phone and tablet battery

ThaBazz
Tutor

Re: RBR50, Draining mobile phone and tablet battery

Just upgraded to v19112 a few days ago. Will be testing to see if the drain persists, I did notice alot of actual drops and switching. Eg: my phone reconnects to the Orbi vs being seamless.
Message 26 of 32
JMU1998
Luminary

I have completely turned off the 2.4GHz radio on the Orbi since I don't have any legacy devices and also disable beam forming and MUMIMO and all this has seemed to help with the battery drain somewhat but again these are only bandaids to a bigger problem the root cause still need to be addressed by Engineering.

Message 27 of 32
pkengr
Tutor

I have been dealing with this issue since February purchase (2017).  It looks like my specific use case issue went away when I updated my Samsung Galexy Note 5 OS from 6.0.1 Marshmallow to 7.0 Nougat (not a recomendation from Netgear).  In fact, it seems that the Orbi/Nougat combination is draining the battery even less that the Netgear N600/Marshmallow setup I had before.  (Of course, that could be related to any number of Nougat system efficiencies.)   The open ticket I had with Netgear for my particular situation was closed.  We have another Note 5 from another carrier that isn't ready to be upgraded to Nougat that is still experiencing the problem.  I don't believe that the root cause of the issue was necessarily addressed, which is probably some kind of backward compatibility thing. 

Message 28 of 32
TomMac
Guru

Yes, this appears to still be happening.

Running Galaxy S7 with both os 6.x and 7,  I experienced drain on the phone over night.  Originally it was as high as 40% but as the Orbi FW got a bit better it dropped to about 25%...still not exceptable.

I currently run the ORBI with beamforming and mu-mimmo off ( no other settings changes )... this fixes the issue as phone now drops only 2-3% overnight while in standby. (

I do know that Netgear is working on the issue and maybe soon to resolve it

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Message 29 of 32
CBATL
Aspirant

Just bought and installed this yesterday 10/28/17-- wifi speed and coverage are good, but all apple device batteries are draining rapidly -- 2 ipad airs, 2 iphones (6, 6S) and a brand new (September 2017) MacBook Pro. The MB Pro went from 98% battery overnight when sleeping to 64% this morning. Ipad Air went from 75% overnight to 17%. Iphone 6 dropped 5% in 5 minutes when using it this am to run speakeasy speedtest.

Has this problem been solved?

Message 30 of 32
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Do you have the latest firmware on your orbi this was a older issue that community members said was resolved with a firmware update.

DarrenM

Message 31 of 32
Wizec
Apprentice

My iPhones (iPhone 7) drain fast when WMM is enabled and slow when WMM is disabled on my Orbi.

Unfortunately, network performance suffers quite a bit when WMM is off, so I can’t leave it disabled. They get us coming and going...

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 21 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E