Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Drops Wifi periodically

Wolverine777
Follower

RBR50 Drops Wifi periodically

I have a RBR50 router with two RBS50 satellites, plus a RBS50Y outdoor satellite.  The indoor router and satellite equipment is on the latest firmware 2.7.2.102.  The outdoor satellite is on 2.6.1.40 (that seems to be the latest, not the same series as the others).  I run in AP mode, with a Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 handling the routing.  The RBR50 is plugged directly into one of the ethernet ports of the Edgerouter and acts as the WiFi branch of the house.

I have had hiccups with this system now for at least a year.  One or more of the nodes appear to want to reconnect every week or so, resulting in no wifi internet for the household for about 5-10 minutes while the whole system goes into pink lights and ultimately reconnects.  This is particularly bad in these times of WFH and virtual schooling.  At no time during these outages is there an actual internet outage (ethernet side of the router stays alive; only things plugged in through a satellite get lost).  This is very quickly checked with VOIP phone being connected on the ethernet side; my first check every time the WiFi drops out is to check for dial tone. 

I've been working my way up through firmware upgrades hoping this would one day be fixed (it seemed like it wasn't as much of an issue ~2 years ago).  I also just recently did full factory resets and repaired the satellites with the latest firmware.  Now it gets stranger...

The RBR50 recently seems to start up OK, connect, light up blue, etc.  However, at some random interval (most recently, 3 days) it seems to go pink and not ever reconnect without a full network reboot.  What's even more odd is that it seems to take out some hard wired ethernet devices on the other leg of the Edgerouter when it does so, but not all of them.  For example, the hardwired ethernet leg of the router connects to an 8 port switch (unmanaged Trendnet), then there are further branches around the house with other switches (5 port or 8 port similar to the first).  I have a Honeywell Redlink internet gateway device on one of those downstream branches - it goes to a red light status for no internet whenever the RBR goes into it's WiFi hangup.  This is a wired device, why would it care?  I've also seen the kids' PS4 lose network for the same reason, also hardwired.  Could this be some freak IP conflict that gets caused when the RBR fails?

Any thoughts on how to resolve?  Is there a more stable firmware to roll back to?  I'm seriously considering buying a whole new mesh system (not Orbi) just for the peace of mind and reliability.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Drops Wifi periodically

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
Are the RBS wired or wirelessly connected to the RBR? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7