Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Ethernet Backhaul not working

SPOOKYSILVER
Aspirant

RBR50 Ethernet Backhaul not working

Hello,

I am unable to get my ethernet Bakhaul work on RBR50 system.

My setup is:

I have a ISP fiber internet, and the ISP-provided modem-router whose wifi I have switched off and whose LAN port is connected with RBR50 Internet port using the original RBR Cat5e labelled white cable.

Along with the RBR50 (AC3000) I have 3 RBS satellites, of which 2 are wirelessly connected with the RBR and show a green dot on the Orbi app.

The 3rd one is kept in a distant room and connects by itself, wirelessly, to one of the 2 satellites. It keeps switching which one it connects to. But its dot is usually orange / amber.

I have a Cat 6 cable installed between the RBR location and the distant 3rd Satellite location. The cable is working fine. I have tested it by connecting its one end to ISP Router's LAN port and other end to an ASUS N555U router's LAN port and the Asus works perfectly as a range extender. However when I connect the cable's one end to RBR non-internet port and the other end to distant satellite's LAN port, the system doesnt switch to the ethernet backhaul.

I have tried 

- rebooting the entore system

- Waiting for 10-20-60 minutes to allow the switch to happen

- Rebooting without the Ethernet connected and connecting it once the wifi backhaul is established

- Rebooting with ethernet wire already connected

- Pressing sync buttons on both the 3rd RBS and RBR

I finally took the 3rd RBS, placed it next to RBR, allowed wifi backhaul to establish, and then connected the two using original orbi ethernet cable that came in the box. And within seconds, the system switched to wired backhaul. 

I finally purchased a "LAN Extender" i.e. a simple connector to connect 2 LAN cables (and thereby extend the length of the LAN. Its a high quality connector compatible with both CAT 6 and CAT 5e. I connected this at both ends of my long Ethernet Cable and connected the other ends of the connector to RBR and RBS respectively uring original Orbi Cat5e cables (that came in the box) - I had purchased 2 systems, so had 2 of these. It still doesnt work.

So it seems that maybe the length of the ethernet cable seems to be a problem. 

I had also, last week, experimented by placing my RBR in the distant location. The setup was that one end of my long ethernet wire went to my ISM Router's LAN port and the other end went to RBR internet port. The RBR did not detect internet. However if at the RBR end I get my long ethernet wire to go into LAN port of my ASUS router and then from ASUS's LAN port connect the RBR, then the RBR worked. 

I am quite confused as to how to make this work.

Please advise. Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 Ethernet Backhaul not working

When the satellite switches from WiFi to backhaul when connected with a short ethernet patch cable but does not switch when connected with the installed Cat6 cable, the cable path is obviously the problem.

Length?  up to 300ft of Cat6 cable should be fine.  I doubt a cable run in a typical house will be longer than 300ft.

I suspect the cable terminations at each end.  I would tend to test with a laptop computer, but so few of them now come with ethernet ports that this is often not possible.  How about connecting that Asus router (at the far end) to the Orbi LAN port rather than to the ISP router?  (I have daisy chained as many as three routers.) 

Message 2 of 3
SPOOKYSILVER
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 Ethernet Backhaul not working

The length is less than 100 ft

I tried your suggestions.

- With Ethernet cable in RBR, and other end in ASUS, no signal at ASUS

- With Ethernet cable in RBR, and other end in Laptop Ethernet Port, no signal at Laptop

- With Ethernet cable in ISP Modem, and other end in ASUS, ASUS is delivering Internet

- With Ethernet cable in ISP Modem, and other end in Laptop Ethernet Port, no signal at Laptop

Very strange....?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7