Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Firmware Update problem

rabbw
Guide

RBR50 Firmware Update problem

I received an email that there was a Firmware update for my router. I tried to do it with the Netgear app but I received a Firmeware Check Error. I then downloaded the firmware to my laptop and read the instructions for installing. One place tells you to log into routerlogin.net and another place in the instructions specifies orbilogin.com. I tried both and attempted to login with username of admin and the password I set up when I installed the Orbi system. I get a 500 internal server error with both. Any suggestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Avoid using the Orbi app for any FW updates. You can do this if you want to update FW:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

If you do, update the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

@rabbw wrote:

I received an email that there was a Firmware update for my router. I tried to do it with the Netgear app but I received a Firmeware Check Error. I then downloaded the firmware to my laptop and read the instructions for installing. One place tells you to log into routerlogin.net and another place in the instructions specifies orbilogin.com. I tried both and attempted to login with username of admin and the password I set up when I installed the Orbi system. I get a 500 internal server error with both. Any suggestions?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 21

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Avoid using the Orbi app for any FW updates. You can do this if you want to update FW:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

If you do, update the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

@rabbw wrote:

Message 2 of 21
vajim
Master

@rabbw wrote:

what firmware are they talking to you about.....version?

Message 3 of 21
rabbw
Guide

I appreciate your reply. Unfortunately the links you provided are the ones I went to and followed the instructions but I can't seem to access the login site as I get the 500 Internal Server error with both the URLs I have tried.

Message 4 of 21
rabbw
Guide

RBR50-V2.7.2.104 is the version I downloaded but I can't access the login site to proceed without getting the 500 Internal Server error. It's very frustrating. Also, this is the first time I have received an email stating that I need to update my firmware. I am currently on verion V2.3.5.30. I was concerned I may need to update for security reasons. What is the downside if I can't update?

Message 5 of 21
vajim
Master

Try to access the orbilogin.com by using the Orbi Router’s Default IP address http://192.168.1.1  (If the orbi is in the router mode)

Message 6 of 21
rabbw
Guide

I am sorry I sent my reply to the wrong user (this is my first posting so not familiar with this site yet!).

RBR50-V2.7.2.104 is the version I downloaded but I can't access the login site to proceed without getting the 500 Internal Server error. It's very frustrating. Also, this is the first time I have received an email stating that I need to update my firmware. I am currently on version V2.3.5.30. I was concerned I may need to update for security reasons. What is the downside if I can't update?

Message 7 of 21
vajim
Master

@rabbw wrote:

RBR50-V2.7.2.104 is the version I downloaded but I can't access the login site to proceed without getting the 500 Internal Server error. It's very frustrating. Also, this is the first time I have received an email stating that I need to update my firmware. I am currently on verion V2.3.5.30. I was concerned I may need to update for security reasons. What is the downside if I can't update?

you may want to hold off with the firmware updates...unless you want to deal with some issues,

you may not be to login to the orbi via pc because yoor orbi is in AP mode?

access your current routers gui and dhcp server client list

find what ip address the orbi router has and use that address to access the orbi router ,

Message 8 of 21
rabbw
Guide

I have no idea if my router is in AP mode. I did try the link you provided and I get the same 500 Internal Server error. I will hold off on trying to update as I don't want to mess something up. Thank you for your replies.

Message 9 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Try either a different browser, IE11, Edige or Firefox. 

Possible you may need to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch then load up FW. 

Be sure to unpack the .zip files as well. 

@rabbw wrote:

I am sorry I sent my reply to the wrong user (this is my first posting so not familiar with this site yet!).

RBR50-V2.7.2.104 is the version I downloaded but I can't access the login site to proceed without getting the 500 Internal Server error. It's very frustrating. Also, this is the first time I have received an email stating that I need to update my firmware. I am currently on version V2.3.5.30. I was concerned I may need to update for security reasons. What is the downside if I can't update?

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ooops, thats MS Edge browser. 

Message 11 of 21
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try either a different browser, IE11, Edige or Firefox. 

Possible you may need to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch then load up FW. 

Be sure to unpack the .zip files as well. 

@rabbw wrote:

he's going to hold off on the firmware update.......he needs instructions on how to login to the orbi and im assuming it's in the AP mode

Message 12 of 21
rabbw
Guide

@FURRYe38  Perhaps I should have specified I am a Mac user. I did try to login with both Safari and Firefox browsers. I think I will just forgo this update for now as I am not familiar with this technology and do not want to mess up my wifi connection at this point.

Message 13 of 21
vajim
Master

@rabbw wrote:

@FURRYe38  Perhaps I should have specified I am a Mac user. I did try to login with both Safari and Firefox browsers. I think I will just forgo this update for now as I am not familiar with this technology and do not want to mess up my wifi connection at this point.

hold up...i'll back off and let @FURRYe38 help......he's pretty good

Message 14 of 21
vajim
Master

@vajim wrote:

@rabbw wrote:

hold up...i'll back off and let @FURRYe38 help......he's pretty good

looks like @FURRYe38 is mad

I would do a factory reset and start over.....or....IF possible get a different modem, one that does NOT have wifi built in.

Message 15 of 21
rabbw
Guide

Thank you for your suggestions!

Message 16 of 21
Wire1852
Apprentice

Sorry for getting late in on this but if you haven't done the factory reset you may want to try a simple reboot of your devices. I had the 500 error 2 weeks ago & the simple reboot allowed me to access the Orbi router with the web browser.  

IMO Orbi firmware may have some sort of memory leak that eventually screws up the router forcing you to reboot, 

Message 17 of 21
rabbw
Guide

Thanks...sounds like I need to try the reboot first...appreciate your reply and to know someone else got that 500 error too recently.

Message 18 of 21
rabbw
Guide

Thanks to everyone who responded to my note regarding my firmware not updating. A special thanks to FURRYe38 for his guidance. Rebooting while connected to my laptop worked and I was able to update the firmware and all is well.

Message 19 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 21
vajim
Master

@rabbw wrote:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my note regarding my firmware not updating. A special thanks to FURRYe38 for his guidance. Rebooting while connected to my laptop worked and I was able to update the firmware and all is well.

Keep an eye on it 

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7