Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Firmware downloads the wrong file (RBR50V2)

phlying1
Aspirant

RBR50 Firmware downloads the wrong file (RBR50V2)

The download to manually update my RBR50 (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr50#download)

downloads the wrong file. It downloads RBR50V2 and then the manual updload fails. 

Please provide the right file so that I can update the firmware. V

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Firmware downloads the wrong file (RBR50V2)

If you can get it connected to the RBR or connect it via ethernet to the RBR, log into it's web page and get it updated manually. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 21

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Just tested it quick and it works fine on mine with the V1

Message 2 of 21
phlying1
Aspirant

It fails with mine. It's driving me nuts. 

Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

are you extracting it before uploading it? 

Walking us through what you do and when you see the error might help. 

Message 4 of 21
phlying1
Aspirant

yes I'm extracting first otherwise it won't even process. I'm going to the advanced tab, going to firmware, and then clicking the manual tab. I'm following the video that Netgear has on how to do it. It's just not working. It says that it's the wrong file which I think it is because it is for the RBR50V2 and mine is not a V2

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try MS-Edge or Firefox? 

Message 6 of 21
phlying1
Aspirant

not sure how that will change the file that's downloading but it's worth a try. Thanks. I guess while I'm at it I'll clear cache and browsing history.

Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

FW for the 50 series is the same for both v1 and v2 models. 

Is your Orbi system a retail Orbi system or something that came from and ISP? Like Verizon?

Message 8 of 21
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 is correct. Is it an ISP supplied device (or used to be)? often we've seen that causes issues. 

Message 9 of 21
phlying1
Aspirant

retail

Message 10 of 21
plemans
Guru

do the older versions work 

got a screensnip of its status page showing its current firmware version?

Message 11 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemans asks a relevant question.  (What firmware is currently installed on this router?)

When the original Orbi was first released, the designers calculated the maximum size that a future firmware file could be and built a test into the update function.  Firmware files larger than that limit were rejected.  Then, Netgear decided to add Parental Controls, Ookla Speed Test, and Armor functionality to the router, and the resulting firmware file was larger than the limit.  Netgear released a special version of firmware that had only one change: it upped the size limit on firmware files.

If the existing firmware is earlier than v2.1.2.212, then this firmware must be loaded before any more recent versions will be accepted:

https://kb.netgear.com/000060612/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-2-1-212 

Message 12 of 21
phlying1
Aspirant

God I hope that works (the earlier version prior to the size restriction). I will try it. I tried a different browser but that did not work. Thank you. 

Message 13 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you tell us the FW version that is actually loaded on the RBR now? 

Message 14 of 21
phlying1
Aspirant

current fW on the router is V2.0.0.74

Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, ya, you'll need to get v.210 or v.212 installed on the RBR then you can go directly to most current seen here in the forums. I recommend updating ANY RBS FIRST, then do the RBR lastly.

Message 16 of 21
phlying1
Aspirant

ALL FIXED! Thank you! I never would have figured that out in a million years. 

I got one RBS up to date and the other is on way old firmware. I don't really need a second one but is there a way to get that one caught up now that the router is on FW V2.7.4.24? 

Message 17 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can get it connected to the RBR or connect it via ethernet to the RBR, log into it's web page and get it updated manually. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 18 of 21
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @phlying1 ,

I understand that the firmware on your satellite is older than the firmware on the router. Incremental updates may be needed to get your satellite caught up to your router. The proven best way to update devices with older firmware is to update the satellite in two firmware update increments.

Please let us know if you have additional questions!

If you can provide the current firmware on your satellite I would be happy to create a road map for you!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 19 of 21
phlying1
Aspirant

Looks like it happened automatically so I'm all set. Thank you everyone for getting me through this. 

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7