Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50, RBS50, AP, Ethernet Backhaul - Advice please?

seanlee75
Aspirant

RBR50, RBS50, AP, Ethernet Backhaul - Advice please?

Hi everyone,

My first post on the Netgear community - please forgive me for any wrongs that I commit! 

I've spent hours reading posts here, as well as hours trying to make the RBR50+RBS50 work reliably and am really quite fed up - sadly, it's somehow part of my job scope for a particular client that I look after for other technological needs. 

I would really appreciate any advice someone can share.

The setup

RBR50 as AP. 4 Satellites (RBS50). They are all connected via an 8-port HP1420 unmanaged switch with tested Cat6 cables. Internet is served by another router. 

What I would love is for anyone who can make this setup work reliably to give the steps I would need to do to make this work. I have factory reset them all. e.g. What firmware version should I use? Should I disable any settings? 

I am a programmer by trade, and I have set up many consumer routers over the past 10 or so years. I have never been so frustrated. I have limited experience with enterprise level stuff, and basic CLI knowledge for managed switches, but am by no means a network pro. 

Thank you in advance for anyone willing to spend sometime. All I am looking for is any settings I should set, any proven firmware versions, anything to watch out for. I have to drive 2 hours to this job and am totally fed up with how unreliable the units are over ethernet backhaul. Unfortunately most of the satellites are too far away for wireless to work well. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50, RBS50, AP, Ethernet Backhaul - Advice please?

You can use current FW for the system. It should be using v210 if your keeping the system up to date. 

You can review this for setting up eithernet back haul:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

I would do this while in the same room as the router for ease of initial setup first. I would recommend setting up a satellite 1 at a time, connect it wireless first. Then connect the LAN cable between the satellite and router. Wait up to 5 minutes for the top of the satellite to turn BLUE. Do a IP address reservation for the satellite ON the router. Save and apply the reservation. Turn off and place in remote location. 

Do this process for each satellite you are adding. 

You should be good to connect to a unmanaged switch in between the satellies and base AP. 

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. I would check mark this feature before you begin to add satellites. If you seem to run into problems, come back to this setting and remove the check mark. 

Message 2 of 10
seanlee75
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the input - have you experienced a reliable outcome using the Orbi with ethernet backhaul? 

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I have along with my friends I set up last summer. His has one satellite still using it on wired back haul. Zero issues. 

Couple of caveats, if you have a need for a networks switch, non managed, non green ethernet switches are recommended. If you need to use a managed switch, disable IGMP protocols on this switch. Orbi and this protocol doesn't seem to work well together. Smiley Frustrated

I have a few switches on my network. Two in between my router and satellite. Video streams from one room that connects to the satellites 5Ghz in the office next room over. Streams thru to the DISH Hopper just fine in this configuration. 

@seanlee75 wrote:

Thank you so much for the input - have you experienced a reliable outcome using the Orbi with ethernet backhaul? 

Message 4 of 10
seanlee75
Aspirant

Hmm. I was proposing to use a HP 1420 8-port switch just for the Orbi but that switch is a green switch. May I have to reconsider what switch to use - most are green these days. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You can find non green switches still. HP still has some I think. NG and D-Link does. I use D-Link DGS-105 and 108s. My man switch is a HP 1400 24 port going on about ten years old now. Solid switch. NG GS series I believe are standard switches as well. Might find them on Amazon. I find both on Amazon. 

Message 6 of 10
seanlee75
Aspirant

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
seanlee75
Aspirant

Thank you! 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7