Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 + RBS50 Force Ethernet

dabble
Tutor

RBR50 + RBS50 Force Ethernet

I’ve just setup a lovely Mesh state in a very large household, using a combination of RBK10 and RBS50 access points. All is well according to the web GUI however there are intermittent times where the WiFi shows as connected on certain devices but not connected to the internet. I believe it’s due to the access points being quite a distance through very thick flooring to the router. Great, so Ethernet backhaul it. The problem is, even when wired in via Ethernet, the device regularly switches back to 5GHz.

Why isn’t there an option to force Ethernet backhaul? It would make more sense to simply disable that connection via WiFi and run it via Ethernet backhaul providing a much more stable connection rather than the AP constantly swapping to a less reliable 5GHz band (although it reports it as “Good” - it clearly isn’t.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@dabble wrote:
I’ve just setup a lovely Mesh state in a very large household, using a combination of RBK10 and RBS50 access points.

Is this correct?  I cannot find an "RBK10" product.  I am also not aware that the "10" series product is compatible with the "50" series because

• The "10" satellites have no ethernet jack, which rules out ethernet backhaul, and
  • The "10" product is not a "Tri Band" with a separate 5G channel for WiFi backhaul.

I am easily confused.

Message 2 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

Regarding the Op's question Is your firmware up to date? Are you sure the cable connecting the RBK10 to the RBS50 is good? The RBS50 should switch automatically to the RBK10. Also once you connect the network cable between the 2 devices, make sure you disable daisy chaining.

There is Netgear Orbi dual band RBK-10 based on wifi AC1200 technology and sold in packages of 2 (Orbi RBK12), 3 (Orbi RBK13) or four packs (Orbi RBK14).

Message 3 of 9
dabble
Tutor

This issue is specifically between the RBR50 and RBS50's in the household. Both support ethernet backhauling.

Message 4 of 9
dabble
Tutor

Apologies, RBK13's.

The ethernet backhaul connection is between RBS50 and RBR50. The network cable is known to be good, however not aware of the disabling of daisy chaining. This household has 4 AP's on 4 different floors, so daisy chaining is required for the top floor to function. You'd suggest against this?

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Please disable Daisy Chain for ethernet connected RBS. 

@dabble wrote:

Apologies, RBK13's.

The ethernet backhaul connection is between RBS50 and RBR50. The network cable is known to be good, however not aware of the disabling of daisy chaining. This household has 4 AP's on 4 different floors, so daisy chaining is required for the top floor to function. You'd suggest against this?

Message 6 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

If you have wired and wireless Satellites, the Daisy Chain option would be valid to use. There was a bug in older firmware where in some cases, caused issues when mixing wired and wireless backhaul and Daisy Chain was enabled. But I was told it was fixed. You can try turning it off. But if the furthest satellite is a too far of a distance, you may not get good throughput on that satellite. Is it possible to wire that satellite.

In commercial installations, we generally go 100% wired backhaul.

Message 7 of 9
dabble
Tutor

As it stands now, we can only wire backhaul one of the devices, which is wired, but is using 5GHz - which is why we're after the option to force ethernet rather than it simply trying to decide itself to use ethernet or not. Ultimately, this house needs a rewire and in doing so, adding CAT5e to each floor would be better than what the solution is now, however we're trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

Netgear, is there a way you can provide the ability to simply toggle ethernet backhaul per AP/force it?

Have tried both topologies, no luck with either.

Message 8 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

There is no way that I know of to force wired backhaul. My system is a combination of wired and wireless backhaul. My wireless satellites show wireless and my wired satellites show wired.

If you are experiencing a wired Orbi satellite showing as wireless when it is wired, there is a problem with either connection or router/satellite configuration. I would experiment and move different satellites next to the Orbi router and plug them in with a short network cable to see if the satellites still shows wireless. If they show wireless, then more than likely it is the router having an issue, a network wiring issue or a switch in between the router and satellite. If it's one particular satellite showing wireless that would mean that particular satellite has an issue. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7