Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 + RBS50 + RBW30 / Wifi drops every day to under 100Mbps

Cidion
Tutor

RBR50 + RBS50 + RBW30 / Wifi drops every day to under 100Mbps

Not sure how to troubleshoot this. But every day my wifi drops down to 75-90Mbps, where normally it's in the 500Mbps range.

Only way I have found to get it back up to 500 is to unplug router, unplug the ethernet from the ISP, wait a few minutes and put it back together.

Firmware is up to date on the routers. Wired speed are still in the 800-900Mbps range. 

Any ideas? I've had these about 3 years. Have they run their use cycle? Time to buy new brand?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 + RBS50 + RBW30 / Wifi drops every day to under 100Mbps

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Does the problem still happen if you turn OFF the RBW? 

Message 2 of 4
Cidion
Tutor

I can try and answer some of those router questions after I get home later today, but I can start with this extra info.

This is a new condition. Meaning, for a couple of years we havent had this problem. But just noticed it recently. We haven't changed any locations of any devices, or changed any settings on any of the routers, or even added any new devices in the last year, except for maybe a smart plug for homekit.

Closest neighbors are maybe 1000ft away on one side, the rest is woods.

Home is about 800sq ft units are on three corners of the house.

I'll still check all of those settings when I get back, but is this a familar problem? Wifi signal dropping speed after a while?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Also any new wifi neighbors that recently moved into the local area? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7